Author Topic: Where does Slickedit store the configuration directory location?  (Read 11287 times)

mp

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Windows 7 Pro
Slickedit 15.0.0.6

Recently my personal folders were moved from one Windows server file share to another.  My Slickedit configuration folder was moved as part of this.  

The problem is that Slickedit keeps looking for its configuration files on the old share, and not finding them, asks me to create my configuration from scratch.  It then proceeds to recreate my main personal folder on the old share, and all subfolders necessary for it to create a new default Slickedit profile in the old location.

When I check Help About, it still show the old location.  The help file talks about how to nuke your configuration, and how to specify a configuration directory using an environment variable or a switch on the Slickedit invocation, but it says the new configuration would be a subfolder of the original location.  I cannot find a way to simply tell it that I have full configuration, but it's in another location now.  

I've done a text search on the registry and the file in the Slickedit program folder and it's subfolders, no luck.  I also tried denying myself access to the old share, which causes Slickedit to throw a number of error on startup and shutdown.

Is there a way I can inform Slickedit of the new configuration file location?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 08:20:03 pm by mp »

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 64
Re: Where does Slickedit store the configuration directory location?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 09:44:32 pm »
You can specify the location of the config directory using the -sc command line option or by setting the SLICKEDITCONFIG environment variable. The User Guide says, "SlickEdit creates a versioned config subdirectory for each version of SlickEdit you run." That means that we will create a "15.0.0" subdirectory under the directory you specify.

I do not see where it says that the new location will be a subfolder of the original. If you can point that out, I will correct it.

mp

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 03:37:32 am »
Thanks for replying Scott.

I'm sorry, I misread "under the directory", there's nothing wrong with the help file. 

So if I understand things correctly, I can use the -sc command line option one time to create the versioned config subdirectory, and after that Slickedit will know to use the new config subdirectory without further use of the -sc option? 

Couple more questions,

After the new config directory is created, can I copy my original config subdirectory over the new subdirectory to regain my original setup?

Where does Slickedit store the config directory location?  It obviously has the location of my original config directory tucked away somewhere. 

Thank you.

mp

• Community Member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 04:11:55 am »
I decided to remote in to work and try this out. 

I used the -sc option to create the new directory, renamed the newly created 15.0.0 folder to 15.0.0_old, and copied in my original 15.0.0 folder.  Now as long as I continue to use the -sc option, I have my original setup back.  However, if I start Slickedit by clicking on a file whose type is associated with Slickedit, or from a right-click-on-a-file context menu item, I get lot of error messages, and Help|About shows that the config folder is in the install folder(!): C:\Program Files\SlickEditV15.0.0\.

I know I can change the context menu, but I'm fairly sure that in Windows 7 you need a third party program to edit file associations like you could in XP.  You are limited to selecting a progam to open the file but can't edit the command line used by that program.  (I would really like to be shown that my understanding of this Windows 7 behaviour is incorrect!)

Surely there has to be a way to tell Slickedit to use an arbitrary folder as the default config location without resorting to using a command line option every time it starts?

Graeme

• Hero Points: 322
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 10:47:33 am »
As you mentioned in your first post, and also mentioned by Scott, you can use an environment variable to tell slickedit where your configuration folder is located.

Also as mentioned by the help file, the default location for Windows is
 .../My Documents/My SlickEdit Config/Editor_Version/
where Editor_Version is xx.xx.xx e.g. 15.0.1

If your MyDocuments folder was on the old server, you might need to set a new location for it
http://www.w7forums.com/change-location-my-documents-folder-t338.html
which might result in SlickEdit finding your configuration folder  - however, if there's any absolute pathnames in your configuration folder stuff, this might not work perfectly.

You can also export your settings from one configuration folder and import them into another - see tools -> options -> import/export.

Google for Windows 7 file associations finds this.
http://www.winvistaclub.com/t19.html
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 10:49:33 am by Graeme »

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Hero Points: 64
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 01:36:25 pm »
When using the -sc approach, you must use it each time you launch SlickEdit, or SlickEdit will use the default location. Or, as mentioned, you can set the SLICKEDITCONFIG environment variable. I use -sc and edit the shortcut on my desktop to put in the switch and the location of the config directory. For your use, particularly if you want to double-click on a file and have SlickEdit opened, the environment variable sounds like the easiest/best solution.

Yes, you can copy the contents of your config directory from one location to another, as long as it is for the same version of SlickEdit on the same platform.

mp

• Community Member
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 02:15:18 pm »
Thanks to both of you for your responses.  I think I'll have to use the environment variable approach.

Not sure why I get stubborn about these things, but I really wanted to get back to the the original situation where neither the envrionment variable nor the command line option were needed, yet Slickedit had stored the config folder on the server share as its default location.  I reasoned that the original location in My Documents\My Slickedit Config (on the share) was determined when I first installed Slickedit, so I tried a reinstall.

I was on an older version, so I downloaded 15.1.3 and installed it.

In the first install of 15.1.3, I left 15.0.0 installed.

Without the env variable, 15.1.3 tried to create its profile folder in the install folder under Program Files, resulting in many errors.

Next, I uninstalled both versions, restarted, and installed only 15.1.3.  Without the environment variable, again it tried to create its profile folder in the install folder under Program Files.  It works fine with the environment variable.

So... it looks like I'll use the environment variable.  However if anyone knows where Slickedit stores the configuration folder location, the default that's used absent the environment variable or command-line options, I'd like to know.

Graeme

• Hero Points: 322
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 10:54:47 am »
The location of the default configuration folder isn't stored anywhere - it's hard coded.  Do you have a "My Documents" folder?  That should be where slickedit looks.  Maybe slick can't find your My Documents folder so it tries the installation folder.

There's a registry key for the location of the My Documents folder
http://www.windows-commandline.com/2010/08/change-my-documents-location-registry.html

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/221837

Graeme