Author Topic: Configuring a VHDL compiler  (Read 5745 times)

gfordham

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: -1
Configuring a VHDL compiler
« on: November 01, 2010, 02:24:33 am »
Is it possible to configure a VHDL compiler in Slickedit Core?

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 77
Re: Configuring a VHDL compiler
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 02:17:57 pm »
You want to set up your project/workspace with a VHDL compiler so that the VHDL compiler will be invoked on a build?  SlickEdit Core doesn't provide any of the project management/build functionality that you see in normal SlickEdit...we leave that to Eclipse.  So in order to do this you have to use Eclipse to set up an external build tool, or alternatively you could write an Ant script to do this for you.

To start configuring an external build tool for a project, right-click on the project, select "Properties", and then click "Builders".  This is the dialog where you can configure any tool to be the build tool for your project.

Hope this helps,

Ryan

gfordham

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: -1
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 01:39:17 am »
Thanks for the info Ryan. What I really want to do is to compile a single VHDL file and have results show up in the Console and Problems windows in Eclipse. Essentially, I'd like the same functionality that is provided by normal Slicket, where I can hit Alt-F10 (I use brief emulation) and the file gets compiled. I use this just to check for syntax errors. To build the project I have a makefile that I can invoke (later on in the development cycle) using the standard Eclipse framework.

Cheers,
Grant

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 77
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 02:46:58 pm »
Thanks for the info Ryan. What I really want to do is to compile a single VHDL file and have results show up in the Console and Problems windows in Eclipse.

I think the output from the makefile for the project, if you are invoking it through the Eclipse framework, should appear in the Console view.  As far as getting an individual file to compile and get the output to appear in the Console view, I'm not sure how to do that without some research :/.  If I have some time I'll look into how to do this.

The population of the Problems view with errors/warnings for stuff like C++ or Java is provided by the CDT and JDT plugins...that isn't going to happen automatically for your VHDL project unless there is a VHDL plugin which provides this functionality.

- Ryan