Author Topic: Problem with installation.  (Read 1652 times)

cjonass

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Problem with installation.
« on: November 17, 2010, 03:31:48 pm »
I've got a user that had an older version of SE installed previously, he is now upgraded to SE15 however, when he tries to open it, it freezes. It appears to be looking for a folder on his local drive that he may have had configured before?

However if I login and run the program it opens fine.

He is running windows 7. I took a quick look thru his user directory and couldn't find anything related to SE (maybe im missing it?) Or is there something in the registry?

I've tried removing and re-installing, ive also tried running the repair. No such luck.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

jimlangrunner

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 31
  • Jim Lang - always a student.
Re: Problem with installation.
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 03:52:43 pm »
perhaps it's a configuration problem.  If you installed it (as admin), it likely created a config directory for you, but not your user. 

If you invoke Slick with the -sc command line switch, you can point the config at an arbitrary configuration directory.  For you (as admin), that would be:
Windows: .../My Documents/My SlickEdit Config/Editor_Version/ where Editor_Version is probably 15.0.1.
If you point to _that_ directory - .i.e. vs -sc "C:\Users\Administrator\My SlickEdit Config\15.0.1", it would probably work fine.

Given that Win 7 is touch about permissions, you might create a similar folder under his documents (same path structure) that would probably fix it for you.

Jim

cjonass

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Re: Problem with installation.
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 04:25:45 pm »
fixed! thanks!