Author Topic: Weird closing comment bug  (Read 6613 times)

JSacharuk

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Weird closing comment bug
« on: November 09, 2006, 06:16:31 PM »
I added a C-style comment opener at the beginning of a code block, but I can't add the closing block because typing '*' doesn't show up. It just adds a space. If I type ANY other character first, then the '*' shows up, and I can close the block. I can also paste a closing block in.

Just above the C-style opener, I have a full line C-style comment, thus:

Code: [Select]
/* This is my comment */
/*
< a bunch of code goes here >

Also, if I do something like this: &*/ to close the comment, if I delete the '&', it deletes the '*' as well, no matter how I delete it (backspace or delete; cutting it using the edit menu seems to preserve the '*'.)

I've never seen this happen before. Anyone have any idea what's going on?

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 64
Re: Weird closing comment bug
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 03:02:58 PM »
In order to help you with this, we need the ususal information:
1) Version
2) Language
3) relevant settings: post screen shots of Tools > File Extension Setup, both the Comments and Comment Wrap tabs

Did this just start happening?

Does it happen with a default config? To create a default config, first exit SlickEdit and backup your existing config directory, then delete the contents under the directory named with the version number, like "11.0.2". Do not delete this directory, just the contents.  When you start SlickEdit, it will create a default configuration. You can restore you config by deleting the default config and copying the backed-up (back-uped?) files back in the the 11.0.2 subdirectory.

JSacharuk

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 10:10:45 PM »
1) 11.0.2
2) C++
3) See attached.

This did just start happening. It's the only time I've ever seen it, and it doesn't always happen. The reproducibility is quite low, unfortunately.

I'll try doing a clean config test later.

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Hero Points: 64
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 10:49:35 PM »
Thanks for the info. That helps. Everything looks fine and matches the settings I'm currently using. Until you get a repeatable case, it's not worth the effort to try the default config...unless there's just no other way to make it stop.

Keep us posted if you can get it to happen more reliably.

--Scott

mjdl

• Hero Points: 18
  • SE Pro 2023 v28.0.1.0 64-bit Qt5 Win 11 23H2
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 06:01:37 PM »
[... snip ...]
Does it happen with a default config? To create a default config, first exit SlickEdit and backup your existing config directory, then delete the contents under the directory named with the version number, like "11.0.2". Do not delete this directory, just the contents.  When you start SlickEdit, it will create a default configuration. You can restore you config by deleting the default config and copying the backed-up (back-uped?) files back in the the 11.0.2 subdirectory.

A much simpler method using the command line, if the Slickedit executable is in the %PATH% or $PATH, is to change directory to the base of the Slickedit configuration directories (i.e. on Windows, cd "%HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%\My Slickedit Config"), create a convenient test configuration directory, e.g. (on Windows, md Test), and then invoke Slickedit explicitly passing the new configuration directory, i.e. on Windows, vs -sc "%CD%\Test" This will start up Slickedit just as though it was freshly installed, you will be prompted to create tag files (which you can decline), choose a keyboard emulation, acknowledge the license agreement, etc.

No diffing and copying involved, and another advantage is being able selectively import textual configuration and macro file differences from your usual Slickedit config until you reproduce whatever the problem may be (although for files that Slickedit saves while shutting down, you'll have to start up in your original Slickedit profile to correctly diff your own config files and those in the new config).