Author Topic: How to minimize SlickEdit in "Full Screen" mode?  (Read 3095 times)

TheHumbleOne

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
How to minimize SlickEdit in "Full Screen" mode?
« on: December 13, 2010, 10:35:29 pm »
I like to use the "Full Screen" mode to avoid distractions, but when I am in this mode, it's difficult to minimize SlickEdit.  The usual sequence in other Windows application is to hit Alt + Spacebar -- upon which you are presented with a menu in the top left corner of the screen.  Then I type the letter "n" which minimizes the entire application.  Not so with SlickEdit; it only minimizes the current documentation.  To minimize the entire application in the "Full Screen" mode, I have to get out of the "Full Screen" mode first and then minimize it.  This breaks my workflow and is contrary to how a Windows application should behave.  Is there a fix for this?

Graeme

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 225
Re: How to minimize SlickEdit in "Full Screen" mode?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 11:10:08 am »
What do you mean "minimizes the current documentation"?
What version of slickedit are you using?

Alt+space followed by "n" works for me, including when I'm in full screen mode.  You could try binding a key to the iconize_mdi command.

Graeme

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Hero Points: 64
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 03:17:18 pm »
Alt+Spacebar followed by N works for me, too. I'm using Windows 7. Which version are you using?

TheHumbleOne

• Community Member
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 03:54:07 pm »
I am using version 15.0.1.3 on Windows XP.

After tinkering with iconize_mdi call, I was able to get this working properly.  It was really weird because all I did was bind iconize_mdi command to the "Alt+Space" keyboard shortcut; then realized that it did not do exactly what I wanted it to do; then deleted the binding for iconize_mdi command; and then everything started working perfectly.  Now, even when I am in Full Screen mode, the sequence "Alt+Space" followed by a single keystroke "N" minimizes the current application window -- it used to minimize the current document window.

I apologize if I am not making much sense trying to explain what the problem was, but now it's resolved.  Thanks for all the help that I received.

ScottW, VP of Dev

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 04:08:05 pm »
You did fine describing this. It's hard to say how it got into that state, but toggling certainly seems to have fixed it.

Sometimes you just have to be glad that things are working, even if you can't figure out why they were broken in the first place. At least that's what my electrician told me after he came over to fix a power outage in the master bedroom. We lost power in just that room, suddenly one day. When he checked it out, he found that in the panel the neutral wire for that circuit was inserted too far, so that the insulated portion of the wire was in the binding post. My question to him was, "why did that bedroom ever have power?". He smiled, shrugged, and said, "Well, it's working now, right? Isn't that the important thing?"

I like to be a bit more methodical about things, and I'm always concerned about root causes so we can try to avoid problems in the future. But there are so many possibilities that could lead to a key binding doing something unexpected. We often test with default configurations to rule out various issues. That would have been the next step to see how a default config behaved on your machine.

Anyway, glad it's working the way it should.

TheHumbleOne

• Community Member
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 04:20:51 pm »
Toggling certainly helped.

To help troubleshoot, what would be useful is to capture what SlickEdit is doing in a log file.  For every day use, nothing will get written to the log file, but when you want to troubleshoot, you put SlickEdit in a "verbose" mode and capture all the inner workings of the application.  Just an idea.  I am not really a programmer (more of a systems administrator), but I have often looked at log files to give me an idea about what the application is "thinking" -- so I can trick it into thinking what I am thinking.  With server services, there is almost always a log file, but no so much with desktop applications.  Perhaps in another 100 years we will have that functionality.

ScottW, VP of Dev

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 06:31:14 pm »
I definitely like this idea and have suggested something like that previously. I'm not sure it would have helped in this case since it's likely that the operation got set either as part of migrating a config from an earlier version or setting another option that somehow clobbered this one.

Regardless, there are enough support cases where this could be helpful that I'd really like to see us build it.