Author Topic: Error trying to debug using integrated WinDbg  (Read 4337 times)

abushnell

Error trying to debug using integrated WinDbg
« on: December 15, 2010, 10:09:40 pm »
I have the latest Visual Slickedit 2010 and all the latest hot fixes and I am having problems debugging my workspace using the integrated WinDbg.

Specifically, I have a Visual Studio 2010 sln that I open in SlickEdit. I am able to build and execute this just fine from within Visual Slick Edit. However, when I select "Start" to start debugging, I get prompted to either use Integrated Windbg or the visual Studio 2010, I select to use the integrated windbg..

SLicked dumps "initializing debugger" in the output window.. then after a minute or to, I get a message box stating:

Error Starting debugger: CreateProcess Failed.

with no other information.

I have verified I have the debugging tools for windows x86 installed and in fact are on the path.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks,

Andrew

Lee

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 130
Re: Error trying to debug using integrated WinDbg
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 01:45:32 pm »
Is the app 64-bit?  We are unable to debug 64-bit at this time.  If not, is it able to connect manually using Debug > Attach Debugger > WinDBG > Debug Executable... or Attach to Process...?  If those work, then you try using vcproj_debug_options (on the SlickEdit command-line) to set the executable path and symbol path manually.  If those don't work, you can contact SlickEdit support, submit your solution and project files if you can and we can try to help you there.

abushnell

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 03:00:06 pm »
It is a 32-bit App and I can get it to load/work if I use the Attach Debugger -> Windbg -> Debug Executable and specify the executable...

I have not verified this, but my belief is the issue revolves around the fact that we use Visual Studio Property sheets to define our options etc, specifically the output dir and I have seen in the past that your support for solution files does not properly populate your various macros such as output if the definition is in a props file and NOT the vcxproj... 

I can try a small case as well to test the theory, but my hunch is that is what is going on.

Lee

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 130
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 03:07:07 pm »
That sounds about right, we do not handle property sheets gracefully or at all.  We don't have full compability to expand all project and solution macro variables in those cases.  Defining the executable and symbol path manually using vcproj_debug_options should work in that case.

abushnell

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 03:15:52 pm »
Thank you Lee.

Do you know, off hand, of any plans to better support property sheets? We make fairly extensive use of them and it would be nice if slick edit could support them.

Thanks.

JeppeOland

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2021, 09:08:58 pm »
Is this still the case?
I'm trying to WinDBG a cmake generated project (2019 solutions, so it defaults to x64) and I'm getting the same error.
If I create a 2017 solution, it started up (but I promptly made SlickEdit lock up with a couple step into/step out of presses).

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 470
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2021, 09:31:54 pm »
SlickEdit WinDBG support still has the same limitations.