Author Topic: Improper dialog size on open  (Read 5496 times)

Christoph

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 6
Improper dialog size on open
« on: January 03, 2011, 01:58:48 PM »
When I open a dialog (in general, but the one I'm mainly having issues with is Find/Replace), it doesn't size properly to fit all the controls on that dialog.  Below is an illustration of what I am talking about:

As you can see, more than half the dialog is cut off.  Every time I open it, I have to re-size just to get to the buttons.  It wouldn't be so bad if I only had to re-size the first time and SE remembered the dimensions for all subsequent opens but it does not.  I've tried changing the font size/type used by the dialog (Tools -> Options -> Appearance -> Fonts -> Element: Dialog) but that doesn't seem to have an affect on how the dialog opens; it only has an affect on how much I need to manually re-size the dialog to actually see the buttons.  Is there anything else I can try to fix this issue?  It has become insanely frustrating to have to constantly re-size my dialogs when I open them.

I'm running SE 15.0.1.3 under X11 on OS X (Snow Leopard).

thnx,
Christoph

rajkej

• Hero Points: 14
Re: Improper dialog size on open
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 11:24:50 PM »
I started having this problem with 10.6.5 release too.

Scott H

• Hero Points: 9
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 08:51:30 PM »
Yeah, this is definitely a bug, but we're having a difficult time tracking it down.  There's something with 10.6.5 and .6 that is overriding our dialog sizing code. 

I've attached an example of this (macsizetest.e).  It's got a dialog with three buttons that will size the dialog based on what button you click.  On 10.5.8, this dialog works fine and will size the dialog differently with each button click.  However, on 10.6.5 and .6, clicking the buttons will make the dialog "flash" to the desired size and then snap back to the last user set size.  This has to be the result of a change in X11 on 10.6.5, but I'm still not sure what it is.

I'm going to keep looking into this and I'll let you know when I figure out what's going on.

Scott

rajkej

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 03:52:59 PM »
Any updates on this topic? SE 2011 is released now and having the same issue.

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Hero Points: 64
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 06:32:35 PM »
I don't see a change request filed for this, and Scott H no longer with SlickEdit. So, I can't say where this is. I tested this using the 27" iMac and everything works fine. Using a clean, default config, the Search and Replace tool window pops up as a dialog and is sized large enough to display the text and buttons properly. I get a little clipping on the label for the "Foreground search" checkbox and the box below it. But the buttons are visible.

After resizing the dialog, it remembers that size for all subsequent uses. Your post suggests that you are continually having to resize the dialog. Is that true?

I'll see if we can reproduce this on one of the smaller Macs. What resolution is your screen?

rajkej

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 07:24:03 PM »
I'm running a 27" iMac as well. What I notice is the following causes the problem with SE 2011 -- though the problem exists in step 1 too.

I have COMMAND-F bound to gui-find. I'll type this as C-F.

1) Select a word, C-F and the window opens properly sized for find populated with the word. Switch tabs to the find-in-files and the window remains small.

2) Make the window big enough for the find-in-files and do your find operation.

3) Switch buffers and select a word and C-F and the window opens large per the find-in-files size. Do a Find this time.

4) Select a word and C-F and the window opens per the Find window size even though I didn't resize the window last time. Now the find-in-files tab is back to the too small a window config again.

I did file a bug on this CAS-54425-6SKD. Ashley responded indicating you were looking into this when I filed it in January of this year.

Based on your response below, I tried the 'search->find in files' menu item and it did seem to resize the window properly sometimes. I did produce the failure by C-F until the window was the smaller size to fit the 'find' tab. Then I use the search->find in files menu item and the window did not resize.

I'm running the following. Cut/paste from about slickedit window.

SlickEdit 2011 (v16.0.0.6)

Licensed number of users: Single user
License file: /Library/Application Support/SlickEdit/16/slickedit.lic

Build Date: May 05, 2011
Emulation: CUA

OS Version: 10.6.7
Processor Architecture: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 760 @ 2.80GHz 64 bit (4 cores)

X Server Vendor: The X.Org Foundation
Memory: 83% Load, 2647MB/3171MB Virtual
Shell Info: /Applications/SlickEditV1600.app/Contents/MacOS/secsh -i
Screen Size: 2560 x 1418

Project Type: Gnuc
Language: .atif (Plain Text)

Installation Directory: /Applications/SlickEditV1600.app/Contents/
Configuration Directory: /Users/russ/Library/Application Support/SlickEdit/16.0.0/

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Hero Points: 64
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 08:56:44 PM »
Thanks for the detailed steps to reproduce the problem. I was finally able to reproduce this. The dialog is supposed to resize when you switch tabs. I think that's what the flash is about. Unfortunately, it doesn't succeed until after you run an operation on that tab.

Now that I've got a reliable test case, we're better able to run this down. I've got someone looking into it. We'll let you know what we come up with.

I did find the CR, finally, with Ashley's help. I search for "Mac" instead of "OS X" and "size" instead of "sizing". Argh! I hate defect tracking systems more than any other tool I use on a daily basis! If Google is reading, can you please write a defect tracking system that can be effectively searched?

rajkej

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 09:15:53 PM »
Funny. I had a conversation with someone this morning, http://community.slickedit.com/index.php?topic=7048.0, and was trying to refer to this thread but couldn't find it with the search tool. I was trying to search for all posts by my username and it wouldn't let me do so without a keyword... and I couldn't figure out the right keyword...

hs2

• Hero Points: 292
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 09:56:57 PM »
I used to click on 'Profile' @ forum title bar and use 'Show the last posts of this person' in this case. HS2