Author Topic: Compiler report error: Permission Denied  (Read 13884 times)

salim

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Compiler report error: Permission Denied
« on: January 14, 2011, 09:29:58 AM »
I'd like use SE as a editor and browser, and use an another special compiler tool to compile and build, so I often open both of them. But sometimes, I find the compiler can't work smoothly, and report error:"fatal error C1083: Cannot open comelier generated file: xxxxx.obj': Permission Denied." If I close the SE and rebuild, it must be OK, and not all of the files reported error were open by SE, I think whether they were hold locked by SE or not. How can I fix the issue?
I tried to set "Option->File Options->Load->File locking" to "False", but which had not effect.
Could you help me everyone?

Graeme

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 347
Re: Compiler report error: Permission Denied
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 12:15:20 PM »
Did you try google e.g. http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/Vsexpressvc/thread/1d76dd1f-5637-4841-92ac-8b2c6541f3e2

Why would slickedit know anything about the object files?  Is it a visual studio project?

salim

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 02:01:12 AM »
Thanks Graeme. Just as you expected, my computer is really windows7 32bit OS, the project is not visual studio project, but which needs the WINDDK/MASM/ASL components to compile(the project source codes are composed of Assembler/C/ASL language).
I select "Project Properties->Add Tree" to add all of project codes, and the *.obj files are useful for me sometimes, so these files are loaded into SE vpj.
Up to now, I not really know how to fix the issue.

Graeme

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 03:52:18 AM »
Since English isn't you're native language, I'm having a few difficulties interpreting what you're saying.  Can you try and answer some questions giving as much detail as you can?

C1083 is a Visual C++ error code.  Are you using the Visual C++ compiler?  
If so, what edition and how do you invoke it?  
If not, what compiler are you using and how do you invoke it?

In your first post you said "sometimes the compiler gives the C1083 error" and you have to close slickedit for the project to compile without error.  Is that correct?  

How often do you get this error compared with the number of times you build?  

Have you ever had this error when building with Slickedit closed?

Do you get the C1083 error for more than one file in the same build?  If so, how many files give you errors and how many source files are in the project?

I would suggest temporarily removing the object files from your workspace and see if the problem goes away.  You don't gain much by having them in your workspace.  Depending on where your object files are stored, it might be possible to write a macro that allows you to open the object file corresponding to the currently open source file - e.g. if you have simple.c open, the macro would try to open simple.obj.  (Do you open object files in hex mode or text mode?)

Graeme

P.S. What version of slickedit are you using?

salim

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 09:33:27 AM »
I don't use the Visual C++ compiler but an another special one, I set application variables and project paths in the compiler, and MAKE files manage the total compile task.
For example:
C:\Masm615
C:\WinDDK\7600.16385.1\bin\x86\x86
C:\WinDDK\7600.16385.1\bin\x86\amd64
If I open some C and object files with SE, the problem is almost certain, and I never meet the building error with SE closed.
If I remove all of object files from my workspace, some similarly new problems are reported.

hs2

• Hero Points: 292
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 10:26:44 AM »
@salim: I guess SE needs to lock the file(s) while rebuilding the workspace tagfile. So the obj files might be accidentally locked when running your build. I think the file locking option is related to the files you are editing. Tagging is a different story.
Since you need the obj files (to verify the masm code I guess) you should remove them from the workspace/project and use an alternative way to quickly access them.
Consider to use (named) bookmarks for that purpose. You can easily assign shortcuts to them and I think you don't need to look up too much of the output files.
Check the docs for the details (Index: bookmarks). And deactive the file locking option. That should avoid the issues you have.
HS2
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 10:28:45 AM by hs2 »

Graeme

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 10:58:05 AM »
If I remove all of object files from my workspace, some similarly new problems are reported.

Exactly what new problems?

What version of SlickEdit are you using?