Author Topic: Remember window menu file list order (SlickEdit Version 15.0.1.3)  (Read 4586 times)

colonel_coder

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
Is there a way to save the window menu file list order when exiting Slickedit?

Currently, when I exit Slickedit and then restart Slickedit later, the window menu file list order changes.

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 64
Re: Remember window menu file list order (SlickEdit Version 15.0.1.3)
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 03:01:04 PM »
Are you referring to the list of files when you select the Window entry on the main menu? That list is saved in your workspace, and it should be reloaded exactly as it was when you last exited the workspace. If you switch workspaces, that list will change.

Can you provide more details about what you are seeing?

colonel_coder

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 06:08:36 PM »
Are you referring to the list of files when you select the Window entry on the main menu?
Yes.

That list is saved in your workspace, and it should be reloaded exactly as it was when you last exited the workspace.
In all my years of using Slickedit, I have always wanted it to behave this way, but it never has.

If you switch workspaces, that list will change.
My Slickedit options are "Auto restore workspace: yes" and "Auto restore workspace files: yes".  So if I have a workspace open when I exit Slickedit, that workspace is re-opened when I restart Slickedit, and the files that were open are also re-opened.

Can you provide more details about what you are seeing?
If, for example, I have a window list that looks like
1. file1.cpp
2. file1.h
3. file2.cpp
4. file2.h
When I close and re-open Slickedit, the order of that window list is not preserved.

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 64
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 07:28:58 PM »
Can you try this with a default config? If we can get it to work in there, then we can figure out what setting might be causing the different behavior. Use the -sc option on the OS command line to specify a directory that does not contain a config directory for SlickEdit.

Also, what OS are you on?

Here's how I tested this:
1) I created a new workspace with the following files in it: File1.h, File1.cpp, File2.h, File2.cpp.
2) Close all files.
3) Click on the Window menu item. I see the results shown in FileListEmpty.jpg.
4) From the Project tool window, double-click the files in this order: File2.h, File2.cpp, File1.h, File1.cpp.
5) Click on the Window menu item. I see the results shown in FileListBeforeClose.jpg.
6) Close and reopen SlickEdit.
7) Click on the Window menu item. I see the results shown FileListAfterReopen.jpg.

colonel_coder

• Community Member
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 02:07:21 PM »
I tried your experiment with creating a new project, and I do not get the behavior your described.  My file list order is not preserved.

I recently upgraded to Slickedit 16.0.0.6 and I still have the same problem.

colonel_coder

• Community Member
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 11:21:43 PM »
Can you try this with a default config?
I will give it a try tomorrow.

Also, what OS are you on?
Windows XP SP3