Author Topic: Cant get slickedit core to take control  (Read 6471 times)

RowanMcFarland

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
Cant get slickedit core to take control
« on: February 22, 2011, 07:34:02 PM »
Hi,

I am using Eclipse for PHP Developers ver 3.6.1 and have loaded a trial of slickedit core for eclipse. I have it set for brief emulation if that matters.

I have a php project that I setup that includes my php files, when I open them up via the PHP Explorer (in eclipse) I am unable to use any of the brief keys, it seems to be defaulting to the standard editor even though the slickedit icon shows up in the tab. If I drop the same file from a windows file explorer and drop it into eclipse the brief keys are active and work correctly. One thing I do notice is when the keys dont work, on the bottom line of eclipse it show PHP and when it does work the PHP is not showing.

I must be missing something, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Rowan

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 77
Re: Cant get slickedit core to take control
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 04:01:21 AM »
Thanks for the report...that is definitely a bug.  It looks like what is happening is that when your files are opened from the PHP Explorer view, Eclipse is opening the files in the PDT editor instead of the SlickEdit editor.  If you open the files from a different explorer view (like the Navigator view), this should work fine.  You can open the Navigator view at Window > Show View > Navigator.

I think the PDT team hardcoded the PDT Editor ID into their "open file" functionality so that whenever a file is opened from the PHP Explorer they automatically open it with the PDT Editor...disregarding what the default editor is for that file type.  This does not surprise me because I had already reported a bug to them where they hardcoded their editor id in the debugger code, so that any time a PHP breakpoint was hit the file was opened in the PDT Editor instead of the default editor for that file type.  In other words, the same exact problem...just a different area of their code.  They were able to fix it easily.

I'll look into it and see if this is indeed the problem, and if so I'll file a bug with them and they should hopefully be able to fix it quickly.  If this is not the issue I'll let you know what is.  In the mean time I'd recommend using the Navigator or Project Explorer as a workaround.

- Ryan

RowanMcFarland

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 12:54:08 PM »
Ryan,

I think you are correct, when using the Navigator everything works correctly and in fact each of the files listed in the Navigator tree have the slickedit icon next to them. In the PHP Explorer it has a different icon that has the letter 'P' in it. I will use your work around for now.

Thanks,

Rowan

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 77
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 08:47:05 PM »
After tracking this bug for a while it does indeed look like it is somewhere in the PDT plugin code, or maybe the DLTK plugin code...I can't tell because I don't have all the source.  I was going to file a bug in the Eclipse Bugzilla but I actually found that someone already reported it a few months ago and it is still open.  I added some comments about what I found while debugging, and hopefully another vote will bump the priority a bit.

Here is the link if you are curious: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=327679 .  Hopefully they manage to get it resolved soon :).

- Ryan