Author Topic: older version of Eclipse requires plug-in "org.eclipse.php.debug.core"  (Read 25237 times)

mwilkins

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
Re: older version of Eclipse requires plug-in "org.eclipse.php.debug.core"
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2011, 04:24:17 PM »
Thanks,
Is the Preview window controlled by code in the Macros folder? If I swapped the file in there (is it the tagwin.e file) for the new 3.6.1 version, would that maybe work?

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 77
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2011, 04:27:10 PM »
It is, but that won't work.  That code is definitely incompatible with the 3.3.1 macro codebase, and while I would love to think that the entire functionality of the preview window is modularized enough that it is contained completely within one SlickC file...I know that is not the case :(.  You would have to make a lot of changes...

- Ryan

mwilkins

• Community Member
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2011, 12:10:44 PM »
Hi Ryan,
I don't suppose you had any more time to try get3.6.1 running for me? Your sales dept have told me that I will still have to pay full price for 3.3.1 even though it is years old and I will get no support for it. Before I pay $100 would be nice to get 3.6.1 working, or I may just look into what other options I have to add some more slickedit functionality though free plugins. They have given me another week trial for now

Thanks

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2011, 02:58:49 PM »
Hi,

I haven't had any more time to look into it after my first attempts.  I don't have a lot of confidence that SlickEdit Core 3.6.1 is going to work in an Eclipse 3.2-based IDE :/.

Sales was right that you wouldn't have support, technically, but we will always "help" users who have older setups.  Even our support staff will.  This means if you are having usability issues or bugs that need to be reported that you can still rely on us for that.  The fact that you wouldn't have maintenance & support with your setup means that we won't necessarily fix bugs for that older version.  And I'll always be here on the forums helping where I can.

I understand the frustration...and we are moving towards supporting as many Eclipse versions as we can with our latest plugin.  Core 3.6.1 is the first version of the plugin to officially support multiple versions of Eclipse...3.4, 3.5, and 3.6.  I'll let you know if I come up with anything else...check back before your trial expires if you are still interested and you haven't seen anything from me.

- Ryan

mwilkins

• Community Member
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2011, 12:24:14 PM »
Hi Ryan,
If I say go into a menu item...say Format-> Beautify and click on the help button, there is no help given. Is there a help file that is missing from the install or something?

Cheers

mwilkins

• Community Member
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2011, 02:03:00 PM »
Another Problem

I have the Preview window, and the slickedit search windows undocked ( detached so I can place on a 2nd monitor) I minimize the QNX IDE. I then maximise the IDE.
The Preview and search windows are no longer visible. If I go to

"Window -> Show View -> Other -> Slickedit -> Preview "

And select, the windows is still not visable. All I can do to get the windows back is to close and reopen the QNX IDE. Its as if when re maximizing the IDE, it is not restoring the Visable flag for any window that is detached.
Any ideas on how to fix this. Are you sure there was no hotfixes for this version.... I can't believe people have not complained about this and other bugs I have seen so far before?

Thanks

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2011, 03:24:25 PM »
There aren't any hotfixes lying around...I checked.  I also tried a different method of getting Core 3.6.1 installed into Eclipse 3.2...by using the zip file for offline installation and manually deleting the optional features/plugins that cause dependency problems.  It installed fine but I was having the same problems where the plugin will not activate due to exceptions/errors.  I'm pretty certain at this point that it is just incompatible.

As for this bug, it definitely doesn't occur in Eclipse 3.6 w/ Core 3.6.1...I didn't check in any other previous versions of Eclipse.  It's always shocking to users that no one has reported a bug before them, but I did grep through Bugzilla and couldn't find anything.  It could be that it was just fixed in a subsequent release of Eclipse, and it wasn't reported before then.  Preview isn't one of our more popular views I don't think, so I could see it also being the case that there weren't too many users using it back when it was first released.

Sorry I don't have better news :(.

- Ryan

mwilkins

• Community Member
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2011, 09:20:55 PM »
Thanks anyway Ryan,
As I said its not just the preview window, it is any of the slickedit windows such as slickedit search etc. I can't believe you think the preview isn't popular, the preview window is about the best thing about slickedit! When being introduced to code developed by another developer , it is great to be able to see where a piece of code lives without searching.

You can see why I really don't want to be paying full price for an unsupported piece of software. I know its not slickedits fault the QNX is using an old version of eclipse and you can only really support the latest version. I am also unhappy that I will have to pay for a subscription type licence, when the licence originally sold with 3.3.1 was a pay once licence, the guy in your sales department did not want to know really, I was very disappointed with his response to be honest. I'm sure an original 3.3.1 licence could be rustled up if they wanted to.

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2011, 01:20:53 AM »
Heh...I didn't mean it isn't popular, I'm sure it is widely used.  I guess all I meant is that I think there is a difference between that and something like References, or Outline.  If those had bugs...we would hear about them in about 3 seconds.  I agree that Preview is a great tool...I helped write the spec for it.

I definitely understand about not wanting to buy a product that is over 3 years old and unsupported.  The thing about the old, more expensive perpetual licenses, is that we can't sell them anymore because that product doesn't exist.  I'm very sorry that you had a bad experience with a sales rep here...and I'll see what the deal is with that.  That should not happen, and I know that they all work very hard here and take their jobs very seriously...so they will want to know that someone was disappointed with their service.

Let me know if I can help with anything else, or if QNX ever moves on to something as "new" as Eclipse 3.4.  Then you should have no problems running Core 3.6.1, or whatever our latest version of the plugin is at that time.

- Ryan

mwilkins

• Community Member
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2011, 02:38:33 PM »
Hi Ryan
I had another problem with the editor. If I go into debug mode on the QNX editor, and step through the code, then I cannot see variable values by adding watches etc and floating over the variable. I know this would be tricky for you.But my best solution would be get the editor to go back to  eclipse editor mode ( by clicking Switch to C/C++editor from the menu on right mouse click), the only problem was that when I stepped in the code, then the slickedit editor would kick back in. Is there any way to turn off the slick edit editor temporarily without having to quit eclipse and come back in again?

cheers

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2011, 06:21:21 PM »
We have added the ability to see the values of variables while debugging via hover over tooltips...at least for C++, Java, and PHP.  But this isn't implemented for the version of Core you are using, as you discovered.

The best solution I see for you is to change the file association for C++ files before you start debugging, and then change it back after debugging.  This isn't great, but I think it's the only way this is possible :/.  To change what editor is used for C++ files go to Window > Preferences > General > Editors > File Associations and find the extension you use for your C++ files in the list...ie *.cpp.  Change the default editor from SlickEdit to whatever the normal QNX C++ Editor is, and then hit OK.  Now when files are automatically opened in debugging (or at any time), they will open with the other editor.  You can change the default back to SlickEdit afterward.

- Ryan

mwilkins

• Community Member
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2011, 07:03:54 PM »
Thanks Ryan, I don't suppose a macro could be written to do it?

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2011, 02:33:17 PM »
No...we don't have a SlickC API for that functionality.  It would be possible to write a small, custom, Eclipse plugin which contained a command, I think.  You could then bind that command to a key.  That's the only way I can think of to get something that would do this automatically.