Author Topic: Working with Linux-SlickEdit via Xming under Windows  (Read 3169 times)

Odyssey

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Working with Linux-SlickEdit via Xming under Windows
« on: March 05, 2011, 10:51:14 am »
Hi!

I start SlickEdit 15.0.1.3 under CentOS 5.5 in a SSH-console opened via Putty with X11-forwarding turned on. As a X-window client I use Windows 7 with XMing 7.5.0.34. SlickEdit is shown up successfully at Windows desktop and works, but it causes openssh-server (4.3p2-41.el5_5.1) crush when I try to open SlickEdit's help.

Has anobody faced the same problem? Are there any workarounds?

With best regards,
Aleksey

lambertia

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 14
  • I have nothing sufficiently witty to say.
Re: Working with Linux-SlickEdit via Xming under Windows
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 10:58:30 pm »
Hi,

I tried the whole SE via X-11 forwarding thing for some time. I found that performance was abysmal and there were various issues with  screen drawing and so forth. I tried with several different X servers.

I think its a better idea to use an nx cleiant connecting to an NX server on the linux host. I would suggest you give that a try.

Cheers,
--
Greg.

Odyssey

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 10:32:43 am »
Thanks, Grag!

Yes, the performance via "XMing + openssh-server" bunch isn't the best. Also, the context menu inside the code editor is missing some items. For instance: refactoring, "Go to definition".

debiddo

• Junior Community Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 06:33:02 pm »
Greg,

I also have tried the NX server solution in the past.  The response was a great improvement, but I always had refresh and drawing problems.  Most noticeably, the text on the menus did not appear until the second time they were displayed, though otherwise the menus functioned normally.  Text never displayed on the context menus.

Did you have these problems and, if so, how did you solve it?

lambertia

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 14
  • I have nothing sufficiently witty to say.
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 10:56:23 pm »
Hi!

For the NX server/client I am using http://www.starnet.com/products/xwin32/ rather than the default open source ones. I mainly went down this path as when I was using just X, Xwin32 was the best bang for the buck to have an X server on my PC. The others were too expensive and the free ones didn't seem to work too well. Once Xwin32 started including NX I switched to that and haven't looked back. Starnet have been pretty good with issues I've seen with SE, to the point that they downloaded a trial version of SE to fix some X display issues.

Some times I do get drawing issues but I normally do to a different virtual desktop or minimize/maximize and they tend to sort themselves out. I can't give you any tips on the other NXes as I haven't tried them.

Regards,
--
Greg.