Author Topic: making new buttons "stick"  (Read 5125 times)

davejames

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
making new buttons "stick"
« on: November 16, 2006, 12:38:44 AM »
Hi All,

New user here.

My company has an old version of SlickEdit (v8) and one of the first things I need to do is install a new button on the tool bar.

I've been able to create a custom button, assign it to List Macros, and place it on the desired tool bar.  Unfortunately, when I leave SlickEdit and then come back in, the newly added button is gone.

I've found no Help topic that describes how to make the darn thing stick.

Would appreciate any insight.

DJ

Dennis

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 517
Re: making new buttons "stick"
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 05:50:46 PM »
I think there was a bug in early versions where we did not flag a configuration change when people added buttons.  The solution is to explicitly force SlickEdit to save your configuration after adding the buttons.  Do this by going to the SlickEdit command line and typing save_config

davejames

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 06:57:43 PM »
Thank you for the response Dennis.

However, issuing a command line "save_config" after creating and placing a new button does not cause it to be saved.  The button is gone upon reentering SE.

Regards,

DJ

davejames

• Community Member
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 04:29:00 PM »
Dennis,

I've found out that the problem is with OUR software!!!  My company apparently performs some sort of "auto-clean" or over write of certain files like vunxobjs.e!  Of course, this blows away any custom button that a user may place.  Also, the company installs its own toolbar with some custom buttons.

My workaround is to modify the file that contains the comapny's custom tool bar button forms with my button's form so it'll be reloaded every time our users open SE.

Thanks again for your help.  I'd call this case closed for now.

Regards,

DJ