Author Topic: Tagging support for propreitary languages  (Read 5946 times)

evan

• New Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Tagging support for propreitary languages
« on: July 07, 2006, 06:08:14 PM »

Hello,

I am exploring improving tagging support in slick edit for a proprietary language that is in the curly brace family. It is similar to Java, but the syntax is far more simple. It is so simplified my slickedit setup does not properly tag functions because function scope is determined by the root file name( SomeObject.os for example ). It works OK in the same file but navigating across objects( to other files ) does not work. Is there something beyond file extension setup I can use to improve it( slick-C? )?  How does SlickEdit add support for new languages?

Evan

Ian

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
Re: Tagging support for propreitary languages
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 03:18:05 PM »
I'd also like to see some better support for user-defined tagging and completion. I built some support for two languages using the basic keyword support and custom buttons:

MarketQA: This is a financial data source which uses an unusual program structure (actually, almost no structure at all) for its query language (.QAL files)... I added keyword support, F1 help and a button on the toolbar which saves the current script, runs it and then either sends the results to Excel if successful or generates throwback to the relevant line if there's an error. This was a vast improvement over the default editor provided by the MarketQA vendors, which does not support syntax colouring, F1 help or anything like that. This language doesn't support functions as far as I know.

R, S and S-Plus: I mostly use R, a statistical package (see http://www.r-project.org/) similar to S and S-Plus... I only added syntax colouring, because the help files are HTML and the scripts themselves run on a remote linux box whereas I'm programming in Windows. What I really miss is a list of functions in my class browser when I open an R or S file. Functions in this language are defined with something like "MyFunc <- function (arg1=default1, arg2=default2, ...) { [do some processing] }" ... so the problem was to have SlickEdit recognise the keyword 'function' as the definition of a function. Can anyone suggest a way to do this?

Unfortunately I recently had a HD wipeout and lost all the customisation I had made to SlickEdit, so I need to rebuild it anyway.

Thanks
Ian.

buggyfunbunny

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 4
Re: Tagging support for propreitary languages
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 02:43:02 AM »
I'd also like to see some better support for user-defined tagging and completion. I built some support for two languages using the basic keyword support and custom buttons:

R, S and S-Plus: I mostly use R, a statistical package (see http://www.r-project.org/) similar to S and S-Plus... I only added syntax colouring, because the help files are HTML and the scripts themselves run on a remote linux box whereas I'm programming in Windows. What I really miss is a list of functions in my class browser when I open an R or S file. Functions in this language are defined with something like "MyFunc <- function (arg1=default1, arg2=default2, ...) { [do some processing] }" ... so the problem was to have SlickEdit recognise the keyword 'function' as the definition of a function. Can anyone suggest a way to do this?

Unfortunately I recently had a HD wipeout and lost all the customisation I had made to SlickEdit, so I need to rebuild it anyway.

Thanks
Ian.

Did you ever recover your R setup?  If so, could you share it?  I'll be starting up with R next week, and having SE working with it (to some degree) would be useful.

thanks,
Robert