Author Topic: How do I start Slickedit without loading any workspaces?  (Read 8237 times)

timur

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 3
How do I start Slickedit without loading any workspaces?
« on: March 14, 2011, 04:59:04 PM »
I'm running Slickedit 11 on Linux.  How do I start Slickedit so that it does not attempt to load any workspaces automatically?

Odyssey

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Re: How do I start Slickedit without loading any workspaces?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 05:28:33 PM »
Click Project.Close Workspace menu item, than close SlickEdit. Open SlickEdit again. It will be opened empty.

timur

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 06:03:52 PM »
Ok, then is there a way to get Slickedit to automatically close a project *before* it exits? 

That's not the best solution, however, because it doesn't handle situations when Slickedit crashes.

pvonkaenel

• Hero Points: 6
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 06:32:22 PM »
I'm not sure if this is available under Linux, but in Windows in [Options --> Application Options --> Auto Restore] you can set "Auto restore workspace" to false.  It sounds like this might do what you need.

Peter

buggyfunbunny

• Hero Points: 4
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 06:37:20 PM »
Don't have that version, but on *nix/16, if you follow these steps, when you reopen SE, the files aren't in the tabs, but the Project is shown in the left hand project tab (default layout).  So, the project is "open" but no files are buffered.

timur

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 06:49:28 PM »
I'm not sure if this is available under Linux, but in Windows in [Options --> Application Options --> Auto Restore] you can set "Auto restore workspace" to false.  It sounds like this might do what you need.

That doesn't appear to be an option in SlickEdit 11, Windows or Linux.

timur

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 06:51:32 PM »
Don't have that version, but on *nix/16, if you follow these steps, when you reopen SE, the files aren't in the tabs, but the Project is shown in the left hand project tab (default layout).  So, the project is "open" but no files are buffered.

That's the opposite of what I'm looking for.  I want the project to remember the files when I manually open the project.  I just don't want Slickedit to open any project at all when it starts.

Sometimes when I start Slickedit, it crashes, and it appears to do so during the project load phase.  I'm hoping if I can just skip this step, it will stop crashing.  If no one can help me, I'll just have to hack up the macro code myself.

pvonkaenel

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 06:58:44 PM »

That doesn't appear to be an option in SlickEdit 11, Windows or Linux.

I remember this feature has been around in Windows for quite a while.  Back in SE 11, it may have been on a different page of the settings.  I seem to remember it was on one of the first pages, or many on load/store options.

Peter

timur

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 07:04:33 PM »
I remember this feature has been around in Windows for quite a while.  Back in SE 11, it may have been on a different page of the settings.  I seem to remember it was on one of the first pages, or many on load/store options.
I've searched the Tools menus over and over, and I can't find anything.  I've attached screen shots of two menu options.  I don't see anything there.

hs2

• Hero Points: 292
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 07:10:11 PM »
In v15 there is a config item 'Auto restore workspace' which should do what you want..
I'm sure it's not yet available in v12 (b/c I needed to patch it accordingly).
So it was added >= v13.
HS2

pvonkaenel

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 07:15:16 PM »
I've searched the Tools menus over and over, and I can't find anything.  I've attached screen shots of two menu options.  I don't see anything there.

On the General Tab you show, under auto restore, what does workspace files do?  I'm fairly certain this is what I'm remembering, but this might mean the files in the workspace instead of the workspace file itself.

Peter

timur

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 07:27:25 PM »
On the General Tab you show, under auto restore, what does workspace files do?  I'm fairly certain this is what I'm remembering, but this might mean the files in the workspace instead of the workspace file itself.
It does mean the files in the workspace, but it only applies when you switch from one workspace to another.