Author Topic: MacOS slow scrolling  (Read 3093 times)

zurmikopa

• New Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
MacOS slow scrolling
« on: March 25, 2011, 06:56:42 pm »
I had been using the Linux version of Slickedit for a while and am now using the MacOS version

For the MacOS version I noticed that when scrolling through code using the mouse wheel I have to wait while the scroll "catches up" which is something I didn't have to do with the Linux version.

If I scroll down and quickly back up, I can watch it scroll down and then back up all after my hand is off the mouse.

I much prefer instant non-smoothed scrolling, like when I use the mouse cursor to drag on the scrollbar.  I tried changing the "Smooth vertical scroll" option to "False", but it doesn't seem to have actually done anything.

I am using Slickedit 2010, is there anything I can do about this issue?
Thanks

ExtremeXS

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 6
Re: MacOS slow scrolling
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 11:53:13 am »
Not of any help, but I also have the same issue, it's a pain because I always 'forget', scroll the wheel and wait patiently to get control of the editor again.

Cheers,
Mark

d-marc

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 3
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 09:01:56 am »
Hi,

I have the same issue with SE 2011 on my intel macbook running OS X 10.5(Leopard).

any updates on this?

regards,
Marc

ExtremeXS

• Hero Points: 6
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 09:33:16 am »
I have noticed that it seems tobe a flaw in either the way X11 delivers mouse wheel messages, or the way they are delt with.

Each mouse wheel move seems to be delivered at keyboard repeat rate, so they stack timed in the future rather than flow realtime, hence you get a huge long list of mouse scroll messages, that are delivered slowly and one by one.

Not found any solution other than using the mouse wheel very gently, and for me (for now) less and less..... ;(

The native build in 2012 on mac should get this and a host of other X11 specific issues resolved, just a bit of a wait!

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 388
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 12:42:18 pm »
Sorry, only the native Mac version will fix this.

d-marc

• Community Member
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 05:21:54 pm »
Hi,

I have news:

When I close my workspace and just open the files scrolling is ok. When I open the same files within a project the source window becomes unresponsive for a few seconds every time I switch between files.

regards,
Marc

d-marc

• Community Member
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 08:14:49 pm »
Hi,

Another update, scrolling also works fine when I create a new workspace/project and do not add any files to it, but just open them.

Marc

d-marc

• Community Member
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 08:25:37 pm »
Hi,

I can narrow down the problem even further. In my project I was using wildcards to add files. When I add the files via "Add Tree" scroling works ok and the UI freezes disappeared.

I was using the wildcard method successfully on Linux in the past and never saw a performance degradation. It seems the mac version doesn't handle this well...

Is there something I can change in the configuration? I would really like to continue to use the wildcard feature in my projects.

regards,
Marc

d-marc

• Community Member
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 09:40:13 am »
Hi,

Slickedit support confirmed that the wildcards feature is broken on SE v16.0.1.

All the issues I was seeing have nothing to do with X11 or OS X. Scrolling is not
super-fast, but ok for me when I add files to a project using "Add tree".

regards,
Marc