Author Topic: TRAMP mode for Slickedit?  (Read 2144 times)

photex

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
TRAMP mode for Slickedit?
« on: April 22, 2011, 07:36:57 pm »
Hi all,

Emacs blew my mind yesterday. Over a slow VPN connection, forwarding Slickedit over X11 was unusable. Forwarding gvim or emacs over ssh is always a fallback, but yesterday I really wanted to do one better. So I began to look at how I could use the emacs client/server support to perhaps edit remote buffers  locally. This was nearly impossible to setup in a reasonable amount of time. But then I was shown T.R.A.M.P. mode (Transparent Remote Access, Multiple Protocol).
WOW. With nothing to setup at all I just opened a file with a path like: /user@host:/path/to/file and it simply worked. I could tab complete folders and file names while typing the path, once the file was opened saving the buffer saved to the remote location. With a built-in terminal in which I ssh'd to the same host in order to build and test, this was a huge win for staying productive when I couldn't be at my workstation. Which also means I didn't have to lose pay for the day! :)
This is magic. Can we have TRAMP mode for Slickedit please? I mean, my absolute biggest wish would be able to create a project and when adding files just be able to point to a remote host like this. Because yeah, Slickedit is a much more effective editor for me and I'd love to be able to use it for everything.
This may seem crazy to folks, and not worth the time for the Slickedit team. I can respect that. Is the functionality provided by slick-c broad enough to develop a system like this? What kinds of networking support is available (OSX and Linux, I don't have windows, but understand they get a C SDK or something like this).

Cheers,
Chip