Author Topic: Feature Request - Renaming File In WorkSpace Using Right Click Mouse On Tabs  (Read 8079 times)

upthere415

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
While working in a Workspace or Project, it would be very convienient if we can:

1. right click on the mouse on the file name tabs, and choose "rename file"
2. This would then rename the file, associate the new file name with the current workspace and/or project
    if the old file name previously existed in that workspace or project.
3. It would then delete the old file from the file system and disassocate  
    it from the associated workspace and/or project.

I figured this would make re-organizing your files in your projects very easy.
Right now, I have to do everything multiple steps the long way, and sometimes I forget.
This way, I don't!

chrisant

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 131
I can see how that could be useful if the files are not under source control.

If the files are under source control then it gets trickier.  Some source control managements systems ("SCM"s) don't support rename.  And in most SCM systems that do support rename, it is important for the underlying rename operation to be done by the SCM software.  Also, some SCMs have special additional semantics regarding rename.

I don't think SE's current version control integration supports rename operations.

It sounds like an interesting idea, but it might be a bit complicated to do a good job of implementing such a feature.

jb

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
While working in a Workspace or Project, it would be very convienient if we can:

1. right click on the mouse on the file name tabs, and choose "rename file"
2. This would then rename the file, associate the new file name with the current workspace and/or project
    if the old file name previously existed in that workspace or project.
3. It would then delete the old file from the file system and disassocate
    it from the associated workspace and/or project.

I figured this would make re-organizing your files in your projects very easy.
Right now, I have to do everything multiple steps the long way, and sometimes I forget.
This way, I don't!
I support the basic idea, but I would like to leave the implementation details open.

I can see how that could be useful if the files are not under source control.

If the files are under source control then it gets trickier.  Some source control managements systems ("SCM"s) don't support rename.  And in most SCM systems that do support rename, it is important for the underlying rename operation to be done by the SCM software.  Also, some SCMs have special additional semantics regarding rename.

I don't think SE's current version control integration supports rename operations.

It sounds like an interesting idea, but it might be a bit complicated to do a good job of implementing such a feature.
The story is even more complicated. As C++ developer you often have a class MyClass in the files MyClass.h and MyClass.cpp.
Apart from the class name also the corresponding file names may be referenced by
1. project files of SlickEdit (*.vpj) of current workspace file (vpw).
2. associated project files of another IDE such as Visual Studio (*.vcproj)
3. a version control system
4. #include directives in the files of the current workspace
5. 'include guard' in MyClass.h (for example #ifndef INCLUDE_MyClass_H)
6. ...

A perfect class renaming (as part of refactoring) would synchronize all mentioned references. But probably this is asked for too much in one step.
Point 2 is crucial. If a vpj file is associated with the project file of another IDE then renaming files of the project is the job of the other IDE (as well as deleting and adding). Otherwise it would certainly be a step in the right direction if SlickEdit could rename a file with automatic adjustment of the corresponding references in the vpj files of the current vpw file (regardless of point 3, ...).
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 10:33:57 PM by jb »

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Hero Points: 64
These are great suggestions and precisely the kind of tedious operations I'd like to have my environment do for me. I have filed a change request for these, and we'll see when we can get to it. 

izik

• New Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Hi, any news about this area? (I am using slickedit 2010 - great product)

I find it very hard to work on new projects without the ability to add files / rename them from inside the slickedit ide.
The reason is that while working on new project, I change my mind a lot and have to change headers files and names very often...

I care much less about the interaction of it with source controls (but I got to admit that it would be very powerful if it will notify the
source control about that actions)

Thanks.

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Hero Points: 64
This has not been implemented yet. Perhaps we may do this as part of v16, but there's no way I can promise anything.

You should be able to easily add and delete, just not rename. Use the Projects tool window. Select a Project, Folder, or Package--depending on the view--right-click and select the operation. Delete is available after selecting a file.