Author Topic: How do you configure word help?  (Read 1725 times)

Graeme

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 278
How do you configure word help?
« on: May 05, 2011, 02:19:42 am »
I've never used "word help" for C/C++ library functions like strlen etc. but now I want to and can't figure out how.  Slick help doesn't help and neither does searching the forum.

With the cursor on strlen, the "wh" command does nothing and the "help-index" command also does nothing.

Using slick V16 RC1, in tools, options, help options, general, I see vslick.idx.

In help options, F1 index file, I see vckwds.hlp in the help file list.  The help file path is set to the V16 root installation folder.  In this folder there is a 914K vslick.idx file  (what is in this file?) and a zero bytes vckwds.hlp file.

Slick help for the "wh" command says it requires def_wh to be set to the WinHlp file.  On my machine, def_wh is set to vslick.idx

In help options, F1 index file, checking "show keywords" shows strlen is in the list (if you look hard enough).

I have some cppbuilder ".hlp" files I can try "adding" but I want to know what this vckwds.hlp thing is all about and why there's a 914K vslick.idx file that doesn't seem to do anything.

Graeme

Graeme

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 278
Re: How do you configure word help?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 03:00:14 am »
Well it seems that vckwds.hlp is meaningless obfuscation as is the default help file path that is set to the root installation folder.  Anyway, I got what I wanted by removing the vckwds.hlp file and adding the cppbuilder help files.  The wh command doesn't work for C/C++ names regardless of what def_wh is set to.  To get what I wanted I had to write a macro and bind it to F1.  This gives me immediate word help for both C/C++ names and slick C names, which is cool, but, in my opinion, the help information on configuring help files is obfuscated.

Code: [Select]
_command void myhelp() name_info(',')
{
   if (get_extension(_mdi.p_child.p_buf_name) == 'e')
      help();
   else
      help_index();
}