Author Topic: Text can't be selected by mouse on CUA(default) mode  (Read 7677 times)

tenggui

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Text can't be selected by mouse on CUA(default) mode
« on: May 17, 2011, 02:10:24 PM »
If CUA(default) mode is selected for emulation, text block can't be selected when drag mouse. But it seems to work well when other emulation mode is selected. Is it a bug?

Phil Barila

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 61
Re: Text can't be selected by mouse on CUA(default) mode
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 02:53:20 PM »
First, what version do you have?  Best way would be to copy and paste the Help -> About info.
Second, for v16 (2011), and some earlier versions (not sure how far back), the Tools -> Options -> Editing -> Selections pane is the place to look for options that might interfere with that.
In case you are wondering, I'm using CUA and use mouse selections very heavily.  Haven't seen any issues.

chrisant

• Hero Points: 131
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 04:19:58 PM »
I've been using CUA emulation in v12 through v16, and single-click+drag and double-click+drag work as expected.  Triple-click+drag does not emulate CUA:  triple-click selects the line as expected, but triple-click+drag does not drag a line selection as expected.  I reported this on 7/29/2009 in case CAS-51356-3CQ4, but I guess it is probably a low priority item.

tenggui

• Community Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 04:32:31 PM »
My slickedit version is v16.0.0.6 and OS is windows 7 32bit. When I let the left mouse down and drag, the text selected is highlighted. But when I let the left mouse up, the text selected becames unselected immediately. Does the same issue reproduce on your computer?

LBCEi

• Hero Points: 21
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 07:08:42 PM »
As Phil Barila pointed out, check the 'Style' options on the Options, Editing, Selections page.  There are several related to deselecting a selection: after copy, after paste, and 'Auto deselect'.

You should be able to use these options to get the behavior you desire.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 07:21:37 PM by LBCEi »

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Hero Points: 64
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 07:11:15 PM »
@chrisant: yeah, sorry that hadn't been prioritized up. For you, we'll see if we can add that in v16.0.1. Just don't tell anyone.

@tenggui: I have the same version of SlickEdit also on 32-bit Windows 7, and I can't reproduce your problem. When I left-mouse and drag, things are selected as expected and stay selected after I release the mouse button. Can you try this using a default configuration. Start SlickEdit using the -sc command line option and point to a directory that has never had a config in it. If that fixes the problem, we can try looking at your config to see what might be causing this.

tenggui

• Community Member
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 02:36:37 PM »
The problem is also reproduced when I start SlickEdit using the -sc command line option and point to a directory that has never had a config in it. I think there would be something to do with the Chinese language of my Windows 7. Because I found another big issue that SlickEdit V16 didn't support the path with Chinese characters. SlickEdit V16 will pop up a "Save Deleted Files" dialog to indicate the file is deleted when drag a file with Chinese name or in Chinese directory into it. Besides that, The SlickEdit project can't be created in the directory with Chinese characters yet. Maybe SlickEdit V16 doesn't support all wide character sets well. I think you'd better do more tests on wide character sets systems. Thanks!

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 528
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 06:36:30 PM »
The filename problem has been fixed. See this post. The mouse problem is unrelated to this problem.

http://community.slickedit.com/index.php?topic=7023.0

tenggui

• Community Member
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 01:02:40 PM »
Does anyone reproduce the mouse problem?

tenggui

• Community Member
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 04:03:33 PM »
I found that the SlickEdit must run as administrator or the mouse selection would disappear immediately after the left mouse button was released.

ScottW, VP of Dev

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 03:08:36 PM »
When you say "SlickEdit must be run as administrator" are you right-clicking on the icon and selecting "Run as administrator"? Or are you using a different account?

tenggui

• Community Member
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 03:30:00 PM »
Yes, I use another account rather than Administrator. Does SlickEdit access some protected system areas when running?

chrisant

• Hero Points: 131
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 07:04:14 PM »
FWIW, I also run SE as a normal user, not as an administrator, and I can't reproduce the problem.

Phil Barila

• Hero Points: 61
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011, 07:16:41 PM »
Might it be related to one or more of the other issues that seem to arise for the OP due to SE not handling some localization properly?

ScottW, VP of Dev

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 01:53:43 PM »
Try launching SlickEdit in your normal account using the right-click and selecting "Run as administrator". We don't think this will resolve the problem, but it's a good test.

Our best guess is that you have some mouse software or setting in your regular account that is not set up in your admin account. If this was a config issue in SlickEdit, you'd be able to reproduce this problem using your admin account and pointing to the config for your regular account. Or the problem would not still persist in your regular account when you used -sc to point to a new, clean config.