Author Topic: Use same vpw/vpj on different systems  (Read 5204 times)

cyberclops

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Use same vpw/vpj on different systems
« on: May 19, 2011, 12:26:39 am »
I have my source code on my development machine.

Location is ~/project

I use SlickEdit directly on my development machine.

I also use sshfs to mount my development machine's disk and access it remotely from a laptop.

Location is ~/developmentsystem/project

If I leave the vpj/vpw/vtg/vphist files on my development system and try to use from my laptop things crawl.

I would like to copy the vpj/vpw/vtg/vphist files to my laptop system to minimize need for remote accessed.

The problem is that the file paths are relative to ~/project and therefore do not work for the remotely mounted directory.

Any ideas?

hs2

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 288
Re: Use same vpw/vpj on different systems
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 07:30:37 am »
Can you 'fixup' the mount path with a local symlink ~/developmentsystem/project -> ~/project ? - HS2

Graeme

• Hero Points: 315
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 10:49:47 am »
I have my source code on my development machine.

Location is ~/project

I use SlickEdit directly on my development machine.

I also use sshfs to mount my development machine's disk and access it remotely from a laptop.

Location is ~/developmentsystem/project

If I leave the vpj/vpw/vtg/vphist files on my development system and try to use from my laptop things crawl.

I would like to copy the vpj/vpw/vtg/vphist files to my laptop system to minimize need for remote accessed.

The problem is that the file paths are relative to ~/project and therefore do not work for the remotely mounted directory.

Any ideas?

and from your other post (standalone tagging engine)

I am running SlickEdit in a very unusual way ...

I have a development machine running Ubuntu 10.4 64-bit behind my company's firewall for faster access to all of the source code repositories.
I have a MacBook Pro running Ubuntu 10.4 64-bit in a VM from which I use sshfs to mount the source code on the development machine remotely.
SlickEdit is running in the VM and either hangs or (understandably) take a very long time to create a project and tag the source code.
I was wondering if there is a command line method  of creating a project and tagging it such that I could do it directly on the development system using ssh and not have to bear the lag of the remotely mounted disk.

If the symlink idea doesn't work...

Ubuntu has its own "VNC" / Remote Desktop Connection (RDC)  - can you use that to run slickedit on the dev machine and create projects / tag files?  There is a command line program to build a tag file  "vsmktags.exe".  Search the forum.

Did you see this recent post by chrisant about using RDC
http://community.slickedit.com/index.php?topic=4972.msg29855#msg29855

A real long shot might be to build the tag file etc on the dev machine, then copy them all to your MAC and manipulate the relative paths in them so that they point to your dev machine from the MAC.  The tag file is binary but you can still "edit" it using slick to change the paths.
e.g.
suppose on your dev machine you have the vpj, vpw and vtg files in folder F1 and all the project files are in sub folders of F1 e.g. F1/F2/F3/F4/file1.cpp

- well, let's use a longer name - e.g. F1/Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa2/F3/F4/file1.cpp
In the tag file you'll see Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa2/F3/F4/file1.cpp as a relative path

We need to change Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa2 to an absolute path that Ubuntu on the MAC understands, but keeping the length of the string the same.  Unfortunately, this isn't possible since the absolute path is always going to be longer than the relative path, however, you can have two copies of the source on the dev machine.  Let's say all the project files are in subfolders of F3.  

We can copy F3 and all its content into /G1.  Now we have G1/F3/F4/file1.cpp on the dev machine and we can create an absolute path on the MAC

Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa2/F3/F4/file1.cpp   (relative)
Y:/whereveryouwillgo/G1/F3/F4/file1.cpp  (absolute)

Hence you can do search replace in the tag file and change Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa2 to Y:/whereveryouwillgo/G1
The length of the strings needs to be the same because the tag file probably needs to stay exactly the same length/ has embedded offsets etc.

Did you follow that? :)  I said it was a long shot!

Graeme
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 10:58:36 am by Graeme »

Graeme

• Hero Points: 315
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 10:55:48 am »
And maybe even another way is to locate the tag file and project file on the dev machine so that the tag file contains absolute paths in the first place, instead of relative paths  i.e. when you first create the workspace, locate it on a different drive to the source files.