Author Topic: Alternative ways to start block mark (column mark) with the mouse?  (Read 4068 times)

compuphase

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
Hello everyone,

To mark a rectangular block of text, you can use right-click + drag. I would prefer to have this as Ctrl + left-click (+ drag), or something like that.

The reason is that I am using a tablet with stylus instead of a mouse. Under Linux, pressing the "right-click" button often causes the stylus to move a pixel to the left or right. This is interpreted as a "drag" and starts a block mark. The result is that it is very hard to get the right-click popup menu to appear.

If I disable the block mark using the right-click + drag, I get the right-click popup menu back. But... I like marking blocks with the mouse.

Of course, if there is a way to set the "jitter threshold" of the mouse cursor movement before switching to "drag mode", this would solve the problem too.

Thanks in advance.
(By the way, I have no such problem in Windows, only in Linux. I believe that the Wacom driver for Microsoft Windows may have its own "jitter threshold" algorithm).

Thiadmer Riemersma

Phil Barila

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 61
Re: Alternative ways to start block mark (column mark) with the mouse?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 10:54:45 PM »
I'm not absolutely sure this will work, but I'd try binding "Ctrl+LButtonDn" to whatever "RButtonDn" is currently bound to.  Tools -> Options -> Keyboard and Mouse -> Key Bindings is where you would do that.  You'll probably need bind RButtonDn to something other than "mou-click-menu-block", but I don't know what will get you the context menu without starting the block command.  Maybe "mou-click-menu"?

compuphase

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
Re: Alternative ways to start block mark (column mark) with the mouse?
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 11:07:44 AM »
Works perfectly. Thank you!

Thiadmer Riemersma