Author Topic: Newbie Question  (Read 4615 times)

rajma

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Newbie Question
« on: November 22, 2006, 09:05:01 PM »
Hi,
I have just licensed SE 11 and am interested in setting up Slickedit with .NET SDK 2.0 to build C# projects. When I use the wizard to create a C# sdk project and create a small hello world type application and try building it, the build fails with error nessage
\\csc.exe /debug+ /out:"C:\javaprojects\FirstCSharp\Debug\FirstCSharp.exe" Hello.cs
vsbuild: File not found (\\csc.exe)
I am not sure where slickedit is picking this command from.
I guess I have to setup the commands and compilers to make this work. Any ideas?

thanks

rajma

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Re: Newbie Question
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 03:38:35 PM »
Anybody ?

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 44
Re: Newbie Question
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 01:25:22 AM »
I don't have my Windows machine here at home, but the easiest way to correctly resolve the path to csc.exe is to set up a couple environment variables in the workspace. The workspace in SE is what would be referred to as the Solution in VStudio.
First thing, go to Project > Properties, and examine how the Compile and Build commands are defined. Most likely they are using some environment vars like FRAMEWORKDIR, FRAMEWORKVERSION, etc. If these are not defined in your system or user env vars (which they usually aren't), then right-click on the workspace node in the SE project tree window, and bring up the workspace props dialog. There's a button for Environment. Set the env vars used by the build tools to point to your .NET framework directories. FRAMEWORKDIR will be something like C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework, and the FRAMEWORKVERSION to v2.0.50727, or whatever version you're using. After setting up the environment variables, close and re-open the workspace.
That being said, the easiest way to get up and running is to create a solution in VStudio, then open the .sln file in SlickEdit. There are some VS2005 project formats that SE has trouble with, but most projects can be read in just fine.
Personally, I prefer to build "non-vstudio-projects" with NAnt or MSBuild. I have some template starter projects and build files that already have the paths and properties set up, so all I have to do is have the SE project invoke NAnt or MSBuild with the path to the .build file.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 01:30:25 AM by Matthew »