Author Topic: A Visual map and diff of key bindings  (Read 1170 times)

anders8

• New Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
A Visual map and diff of key bindings
« on: July 06, 2011, 02:56:46 am »
I finally committed to SE and bought my license. :)

My question, or rather, pondering, is about the keyboard emulations. What I would really like is to be able to see a diff of the emulations. For example, show me what's different between CUA and CodeWright. Is it really just 8 keys, or 40?

Why? Well, I'm a little flexible. I'm willing to move away, a bit, from my old emulation and retrain a couple fingers. I'd rather be at "CUA plus four or five remapped keys" so that when I'm editing somewhere else (a web browser) it doesn't freak me out so much.

And actually, while dreaming, show me that in a way that looks like a keyboard graphic. Something like this, but with diffs in key functionality highlighted. Anyone ever seen anything like that?

Graeme

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 231
Re: A Visual map and diff of key bindings
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 06:15:36 am »
One way.  Run slick with a new config folder  vs.exe -sc some-empty-folder  , then select whichever emulation you want.  Then type list-keydefs on the slick cmd line and save the resulting file.  Select some other emulation and repeat list-keydefs, save the file and compare the two files using a diff tool. 

You can also use this macro to see key bindings grouped by key for default mode  - minus "composite" key sequences
http://community.slickedit.com/index.php?topic=5461.msg22790#msg22790