Author Topic: Old Dog / New Tricks (trying to be happy in eclipse)  (Read 8873 times)

pbrightly

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 6
Old Dog / New Tricks (trying to be happy in eclipse)
« on: July 08, 2011, 05:14:03 AM »
Hello,
I'm an old time Slick user since I used Slick 1.0 on DOS to develop OS/2. (guess that dates me pretty well)
I've been upgrading ever since, every few years, and just when I'm trying to get my manager to pay for SlickEdit 2011...my project converts to using Rational Team Concert (eclipse-based). 
So...I downloaded the trial of SlickEdit Core while I await procurement of the license I ordered (through work).

I'm feeling pretty lost.  I live by my 20+ year old keyboard settings, colors, TONS of my own macros...and where's my beloved SlickEdit command line??  I mostly use the menus when I don't know the command.  To make me a bit more comfy in the plugin:

1) Is there any way to get a command-line like in SlickEdit?
2) Can't I replace the RTC diff tool with diffzilla?  I really miss diffzilla and don't want to change
3) How can I import all my SlickEdit 2008 settings?  I want my colors, my keyboard settings, my macros...  Is there any migration doc?
4) Is it possible to share macros between SlickEdit 2008 and core?  Or...at least the 2011 version and core?  I don't see myself using the plugin for non-eclipse work.  And...I haven't gotten approval to buy 2011 (yet); just core
5) Is there a list of what is different/missing in slickedit core as opposed to slickedit 2011?  I don't want 2 different products.  Ideally, I want one editor that lives inside, and outside eclipse.  I want ONE set of macros and settings that applies (as much as possible) to both.  And...why not shared tag files?

DaveyC

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 9
Re: Old Dog / New Tricks (trying to be happy in eclipse)
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 06:35:16 AM »
The command line is there. Just press Esc and it will pop-up. Not as nice as regular SE but does the job.
If RTC is anything like RDz then you might be out of luck wrt diffzilla. SE core has integrated diffzilla into regular eclipse
but RDz uses a proprietary project explorer (without diffzilla). Ryan, it would be great if the plug-in had a Backup History view.
In fact, it would be great if all the regular SE view were in the plug-in.

I use regular slickedit too and would love to share settings/macros.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 06:39:44 AM by DaveyC »

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 77
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 02:38:10 PM »
The same key binding you are used to using for toggling the command line in SlickEdit will toggle it if you are using SlickEdit Core.  It's just not always visible in SlickEdit Core because we really don't have a great place/way to dock it inside of Eclipse.

As far as the macros are concerned, those should work fine if they are from the same base version of SlickEdit.  So if you are using the latest version of SlickEdit Core (3.6.1), that would be SlickEdit v15.  If you only know they are compatible with an older version of SlickEdit...well, I can't say for sure.  I would just load them inside of SlickEdit Core by opening them in a buffer and hitting F12, or via Macro > Load Module, and if they compile, run the command(s) and see what happens.  If they don't compile then hopefully you can fix the compile errors by debugging the error messages you get on the status line of Eclipse (bottom left).

The settings is kind of the same deal...if you use the Tools > Options > Export/Import Options feature in SlickEdit v15 to export your settings, and then import the resulting .zip file in SlickEdit Core 3.6.1...this should work.  I just tested it.  However, doing this between different versions of SlickEdit is only going to work from SlickEdit v16 forward, though...and SlickEdit 2008 doesn't even have the Export/Import Options feature.  So...not great news for you.

There is a more manual approach you can try, which involves running the vusrdefs.e macro from your old SlickEdit 2008 config.  I can't give any guarantee on this working, and you could end up having to nuke your SlickEdit Core config so you might want to make a backup before you try this.  But you can try it.  Copy vusrdefs.e from your SlickEdit 2008 config directory to wherever your SlickEdit Core config is, and then start Eclipse.  Now, from the SlickEdit command line enter the full path to this file including the file itself, encased in quotes if there are spaces in the path, and hit ENTER.  This will run the defmain() for this file and hopefully restore all of your settings, colors, key bindings, etc...if it actually works.

2) Can't I replace the RTC diff tool with diffzilla?  I really miss diffzilla and don't want to change

We have integrated DIFFzilla into all Eclipse explorer views (ie. Navigator, Package Explorer) under the Compare With submenu when you right click on a file or selection of files, and in the same place in the Eclipse History view for use with the Eclipse file history feature.  It's also available manually at Tools > File Difference, of course.  I don't know about replacing the RTC diff tool with DIFFzilla, but I can log a feature request for this and look into it.

5) Is there a list of what is different/missing in slickedit core as opposed to slickedit 2011?  I don't want 2 different products.  Ideally, I want one editor that lives inside, and outside eclipse.  I want ONE set of macros and settings that applies (as much as possible) to both.  And...why not shared tag files?

Well, they are different environments and the actual editor is the exact same editor as the SlickEdit standalone editor of the same base version, but there are features that are stripped out of SlickEdit Core for specific reasons.  The most common reason being that we don't want to duplicate functionality in Eclipse if Eclipse does something perfectly well.  We would not want to clutter up Eclipse with our version control support because we feel that Eclipse handles version control support very well.  Same thing with project/file management...and build/run management.  No need for SlickEdit in those areas.  When we feel we have something different or better to offer, we expose and integrate that feature in Eclipse.  But in the case of the actual editor itself, it really is the exact same editor.

I hope that helps, in some way.  Let me know if you have any other questions...thanks for the feedback.

- Ryan

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 77
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 02:43:03 PM »
Ryan, it would be great if the plug-in had a Backup History view.
In fact, it would be great if all the regular SE view were in the plug-in

Currently, Backup History falls under the category of things we feel Eclipse does well enough so that we don't need or want to bring this feature from SlickEdit into Eclipse.  Do you find that the Eclipse file history lacks something that SlickEdit offers?  I think that SlickEdit has a superior implementation of this feature (because it saves only the actual differences and not full files), and also now we have the ability to make comments on Backup History elements, which is definitely nice...but we haven't yet deemed that it was significantly above and beyond what Eclipse offered.  Let me know what you think.

- Ryan

pbrightly

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 6
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 06:55:26 PM »
The same key binding
Whoa!  I'm surprised I didn't accidentally find that one.  Whoo-hoo, got my CLI.  Thanks.

As far as the macros are concerned, those should work fine
OK, I need to geek out and start customizing

There is a more manual approach you can try, which involves running the vusrdefs.e
Yeah, that's what I'm used to doing each time I upgrade (for years).

We have integrated DIFFzilla
OK, I see it now.  It doesn't show up in every context menu I've wanted...but I'm just learning RTC and I'll get used to it.

That's been very helpful, thanks.  After porting my macros/env, I need to spend some quality time in the manual (something I haven't really done, end-to-end, since  the text-based versions.)

DaveyC

• Hero Points: 9
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 02:39:54 AM »
Currently, Backup History falls under the category of things we feel Eclipse does well enough so that we don't need or want to bring this feature from SlickEdit into Eclipse.  Do you find that the Eclipse file history lacks something that SlickEdit offers?  I think that SlickEdit has a superior implementation of this feature (because it saves only the actual differences and not full files), and also now we have the ability to make comments on Backup History elements, which is definitely nice...but we haven't yet deemed that it was significantly above and beyond what Eclipse offered.  Let me know what you think.

I think Backup History is one of my favorite SE features as is diffzilla. Unfortunately, the project explorer I use in RDz is not vanilla Eclipse so I don't get the option of using diffzilla. Now, if I were to have a BH view that would solve my problem as well as giving me one of my favorite features!