Author Topic: Slickedit 16 versus Eclipse  (Read 8122 times)

tinker123

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 3
Slickedit 16 versus Eclipse
« on: July 13, 2011, 03:20:26 PM »
I read in another thread that the Eclipse plugin developers put a VSE feature in the Eclipse plugin if they feel VSE does it much better than Eclipse......so I thought this would be a good place to ask my questions.

So here goes....

I've been using VSE for 12 years.  I've owned my personal copy and take it with me from job to job.   I like it that much.

I recently started a new job.   Another programmer sat down with me at my desk and freaked out a bit that I wasn't using Eclipse ( for Java development ).    He suggested that I learn Eclipse as it is almost a standard in the Java community.   I agree with this.  I've seen Eclipse integrated with other things.   I also think it would be useful to know some Eclipse for changing jobs, working on code with other people on their machines, etc.

My coworker pointed out two reasons why he thought VSE was "inefficient" as compared to Eclipse:

1.  I navigated my code through the directory tree on the "Open tab"  on the left hand column.  In Eclipse he navigated code via something similar to what you get with the "Project" tab ( I now made that visible in my VSE )

2.  He was able to drag a JSP/Servlet source code into eclipse and it seemed to tell him, automatically what libraries were missing and seemed(I'm not sure about this) to autodetect some possible locations for him.   I was impressed by this, though I am still impressed with being able to make an instant project in VSE with an ANT file.

So, my question is, what things does Eclipse do that VSE does not  -OR- does them much faster/more easily?

I'm thinking if I learn these features in Eclipse and their equivalents in VSE  I will get less friction for using VSE.

I would also like to know for myself

Thanks in advance for any opinions

hs2

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 292
Re: Slickedit 16 versus Eclipse
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 03:29:07 PM »
You should try the smart file open feature or the legacy activate-files-workspace/project. HS2