Author Topic: Eclipse 3.8  (Read 10223 times)

Thom Little

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
Eclipse 3.8
« on: July 20, 2011, 09:40:24 PM »
I've been a VSE user for many years and it is the base for what I write for the PC.

I need to do some Android development so I have installed Eclipse 3.8 and the Android SDK.

Is there a version of SlickEdit Core for Eclipse 3.8?

... Thom

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 77
Re: Eclipse 3.8
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 02:11:52 PM »
Hi Thom,

We are currently working on development of SlickEdit Core 3.7.0...which will be built on the recently released Eclipse 3.7.0.  It will "officially" be compatible with versions dating back to Eclipse 3.4.x.  Eclipse 3.8, as far as I know, isn't slated for release until next year, parallel with Eclipse 4.2 I think.  Even though eclipse.org makes the stream builds available as soon as they are producing them, we don't test compatibility with the platforms that they are currently developing.  You are welcome to try Core 3.6.1 (and Core 3.7.0 when it is released) in the Eclipse 3.8 environment...and see if it works.  I don't have any great reasons why it shouldn't work, but just know that there could be some API changes that break our compatibility...it does happen sometimes with their major upgrades.

Hope this helps,

Ryan

Thom Little

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 05:46:57 PM »
Thank you for the information Ryan.  I was confused.  No excuse sir.

I am using "Eclipse IDE for Java and Report Developers" from their download area and it is referred to as "Indigo".  Looking at the componets the higest version is 3.7.

An article suggested that "Eclipse IDE for Java and Report Developers" was the flavor for serious devleopers and if you didn't have it you eventually would.

Are you loioking for someone to tryout the 3.7 version of SE Core?

... Thom

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 06:11:23 PM »
Ah, ok...then you are just using the current version of Eclipse: 3.7.x.  If you want to try out SlickEdit Core 3.6.1 in that environment, you are welcome to go ahead and install and see how it works...though I can't make any guarantees on how it will go because Eclipse 3.7 is not an "official" supported platform for Core 3.6.1.

Look for SlickEdit Core 3.7.0 (built on Eclipse 3.7) to be going to beta toward the end of this Summer.

- Ryan

Rick P.

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 09:25:54 PM »
Any word on this beta?  Summer is now over.

PlanetPratt

• Hero Points: 6
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 09:41:34 PM »
Good question, I've been trying SECore 3.6.1 on Indigo for the last few days and it seems very unstable ???.  I'd love to get a SECore version that was meant to run there.  And I'd especially like to get a 64bit version so I didn't have to dumb down my eclipse to use it :-[.
  (*Chris*)

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 02:15:58 PM »
Hi guys,

Well if we are talking astronomical dates here, Summer is not over.  I know you don't really care about that and just want to know when Core 3.7.0 is coming out with 64 bit support and all that jazz...and we are still hoping to keep close to our prediction of the end of Summer for the beta.  You will hear from us in late September if we haven't gone to beta already.

- Ryan

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 03:21:53 PM »
Our current time frame for the release is now November...we are delayed to finish work on a few different features.  We are looking forward to everyone participating in the beta testing.

- Ryan