Author Topic: Store and load the window layout  (Read 3500 times)

hensz

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Store and load the window layout
« on: July 27, 2011, 01:45:28 pm »
Hi there!

Is there a way (built in or user macro) to store and load the current window layout?

I'm using SlickEdit with the same computer and two different screen configurations (screen position, rotation and resolution). Every time I switch from one configuration to the other my entire layout is messed up. To prevent that I'd like to store the layout for one configuration, and after switching back to load it again. Or even better: Store two different layouts and load the one matching my current screen configuration.

I know I can store all options. When loading these stored options the window layout is restored, too (as far as I remember). There is even a way to store only certain options, but this selection does not contain the window layout.

I think I have to write a macro for this - but since I'm quite new to Slick-C macros I don't know how to start. Can anyone give me a hint, or a solution for my problem?  ;)

Graeme

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 325
Re: Store and load the window layout
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 12:49:42 pm »
Exactly which windows are you referring to when you talk about "window layout"?

Some, or maybe all of the information relating to the window layout is kept in vrestore.slk in your configuration folder, so one way to do what you want might be to switch the vrestore.slk file before you start slick.  There's a bunch of other information in this file too so this might not do exactly what you want but if you compare the differences between two vrestore.slk files, you might be able to programmatically modify vrestore.slk to set the window layout.

You could post this as a feature request - I think I would find it useful too.

Graeme

hensz

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Re: Store and load the window layout
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 01:09:08 pm »
Exactly which windows are you referring to when you talk about "window layout"?

I'm talking about tool windows like Preview, References, Projects. All of my tool windows are auto-hidden, except the Preview tool window (and of course the Editor window).

Some, or maybe all of the information relating to the window layout is kept in vrestore.slk in your configuration folder, so one way to do what you want might be to switch the vrestore.slk file before you start slick.  There's a bunch of other information in this file too so this might not do exactly what you want but if you compare the differences between two vrestore.slk files, you might be able to programmatically modify vrestore.slk to set the window layout.

Thank you for this hint. I don't care that much about the other information stored in this file, so I don't take the effort of analyzing the differences between two restore files (there are a lot of differences even when I only change the location of a single tool window). Instead I'll backup this file before starting SlickEdit with a different screen setup, and write back this backup when switching back to the previous screen setup.

You could post this as a feature request - I think I would find it useful too.

I'll do that, but I doubt that this feature will be realized. There was a similar request some time before, and nothing happend...

Greetings,
hensz