Author Topic: Maintenance and Support question  (Read 2556 times)

artig

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
Maintenance and Support question
« on: July 21, 2011, 11:47:35 pm »
Currently I have a trial license for SE. On the Maintenance and Support Service page it states "Receive new releases, upgrades, patches, and error corrections at no additional charge.". Does this imply that users without a service contract do not get patches and error corrections at no charge?

I have not been able to find out the cost of a new release or upgrade if I don't pay the 20% annual fee for a Maintenance and Support service contract. Nor what is available to a new customer who purchases a Named User License for a single operating system (fixes, patches, etc). Is it possible to join Maintenance and Support at any time after initial purchase?

jimlangrunner

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 31
  • Jim Lang - always a student.
Re: Maintenance and Support question
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 11:36:56 am »
While they have (recently) begun to offer a slight discount to users a version or two back, maintenance and support ($60/year or $5/month) is the cheapest way to get the updates.

Bug fixes (hotfixes) for a particular version (for instance, 16.0 or 16.1) are readily downloadable.  Not sure if upgrades (16.0 to 16.1) are included.  For certain, 16.x to 17.0 is NOT included.

I got in about 5 years ago (11.x) and did NOT purchase the support.  I regretted it, as the upgrades at the time was full price ($300+), and there were new features in 13.0 I really did want.  I wound up buying the full boat, then paying maintenance.  (This was before the upgrade price came on line).  (No, I'm not bitter, but I do wish someone had explained to me that $60 was a low-cost investment at the time.  I wasted $180 that way.)

My recommendation:  Pay the $60/year.  It's cheap, it feeds the guys developing the editor (and assures them of steady income), and it assures you of the upgrades.  It's worth it.

Jim

buggyfunbunny

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 4
Re: Maintenance and Support question
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 06:34:31 pm »
My recommendation:  Pay the $60/year.  It's cheap, it feeds the guys developing the editor (and assures them of steady income), and it assures you of the upgrades.  It's worth it.

Jim

Finer words have never been spoken.  While some particular corner case (e.g., jsp) might not be fully supported, there's nothing out there, free or not, that comes close.  And, no, I've no financial interest in the company.