Author Topic: SlickEdit not detecting Perforce  (Read 10699 times)

mindspawn

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
SlickEdit not detecting Perforce
« on: August 02, 2011, 07:56:22 PM »
Hi,

I just setup SlickEdit on Windows 7 64-bit on my desktop. I used the 32-bit version of SlickEdit. I also installed the 32-bit version of P4V and SlickEdit allowed me to setup Perforce in the Version Control Menu.

However, on my laptop which also runs 64-bin Windows 7, 32-bit SlickEdit is unable to detect 32-bit P4V that is installed on it. When I go to version control menu, the SCC providers list is greyed out and Perforce is not listed under Version Control System.

Please let me know what might be the cause of this and how to resolve this.

jimlangrunner

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 31
  • Jim Lang - always a student.
Re: SlickEdit not detecting Perforce
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 03:04:08 AM »
Off the top of my head - is the perforce .dll in the path?  I mean, can Slick "see" it?  If it's not visible to slick, that could happen.

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 44
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 01:53:01 PM »
Greying out the SCC providers in the 64-bit Windows version is intentional. The 64-bit process cannot load 32-bit SCC dlls. You'll need to use the command-line version that calls p4.exe directly.

chrisant

• Hero Points: 131
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 04:16:15 PM »
Greying out the SCC providers in the 64-bit Windows version is intentional. The 64-bit process cannot load 32-bit SCC dlls. You'll need to use the command-line version that calls p4.exe directly.
on my laptop which also runs 64-bin Windows 7, 32-bit SlickEdit is unable to detect 32-bit P4V that is installed on it.

@mindspawn --
You stated you have 32-bit SE on your laptop.  Maybe double check that 32-bit is what got installed, to rule out whether Matthew's observation applies in your case.
Also, does installing P4V install the P4SCC as well?  As of a few years ago, I believe installing P4V did not install P4SCC.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 04:18:02 PM by chrisant »

mindspawn

• Community Member
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 04:27:02 PM »
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your suggestions. I did have my path setup to include the perforce executables as well as dlls already. I did verify in help>about that 32-bit version of slickedit was installed. I did verify that Perforce was also 32-bit and the latest version from their website.

I went ahead and uninstalled perforce and re-installed an older version from my desktop and now everything seems to work fine in SlickEdit.

jimlangrunner

• Hero Points: 31
  • Jim Lang - always a student.
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 04:35:29 PM »
Could it be that perforce installed a 64-bit version initially?  The bit-ness is the thing that is generally mentioned when it doesn't work.

mindspawn

• Community Member
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 06:28:04 PM »
I do not have the setup files that I used for the original perforce install. However I checked in the help>About and I also saw that it was installed in Program Files (x86) folder where all other 32-bit apps were installed.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 153
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 02:07:22 PM »
If you look in the 32-bit registry at Software\\SourceCodeControlProvider\\InstalledSCCProviders is Perforce included there?  If so, if you look at the key that it points at, does it give the path to the Perforce SCC dll?

mindspawn

• Community Member
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 02:26:54 PM »
Hi Dan,

Since I re-installed perforce, everything seems to be working. If I have problems again I can check on the registry key that you listed. Thanks for the suggestion. I assume that is the location SlickEdit looks at to figure whether Perforce is installed.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 02:27:51 PM »
Right, that is actually where any SCC provider should be registered.

LarryKoen

• New Community Member
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 07:23:36 PM »
 :(  From Perforce:

On a side note, we are not adding any new features to P4SCC Plug-In anymore.
This is due to the fact Microsoft did stop supporting SCC API a few years ago.
Perforce is in the process of developing a new Plug-In for Visual Studio .NET.
This new Perforce plug-in will only work with Visual Studio .NET.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 07:32:14 PM »
We have some ideas how to provide good Perforce support without using SCC, but right now we are not sure what is possible.

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 44
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 07:39:54 PM »
Scene #47 from the script of SlickEdit-Blanca

Dramatis Personae
Rick: Debonair SlickEdit developer
Ilsa: Distraught Perforce user

Rick: When Perforce drops SCC support and you decide to move to another version control system, you'll regret it. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life.

Ilsa: But what about my p4 support in SlickEdit?

Rick: We'll always have command line "shell and scrape". We didn't have it before...we'd...we'd lost it until this 32-bit SCC DLL crisis.

Ilsa: When I said I would never leave Perforce...

Rick: And you never will. We'll do our best to make sure the command line support works well for you. It doesn't take much to see that the problems of us SCC provider-loving little people don't amount to a hill of beans in this Visual Studio world. Someday you'll understand that. Here's looking at you, kid.

pakostevens

• New Community Member
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 10:51:21 PM »
I'm trying to get perforce working with the 64bit client of slickedit 16.0.3.

How can I go about setting up the command line p4? Does it have to be manually added and then each command added individually?

hs2

• Hero Points: 292
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 12:30:35 AM »
Use 'Tools>Version Control>Setup: check 'Command line systems' and 'Add' a new 'Perforce' entry.
Now 'Setup' the appropriate commands making use of the SE argument macros. You can refer to the other default command line systems and see Help>Index: version control, setting up command line systems.
Good luck, HS2