Author Topic: SE Core 3.6.1 on Windows 2000 ... is it supported?  (Read 8300 times)

TioP

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
SE Core 3.6.1 on Windows 2000 ... is it supported?
« on: July 30, 2011, 08:52:26 PM »
I tried to add SE Core 3.6.1 to an eclipse 3.6.2 installation on a Windows 2000 machine.
When I do Help | About SlickEdit Core I get a popup:
The procedure entry point GetNativeSystemInfo could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll
Error loading DLL 'C: ......libs_3.6.1\slickedit\win\winutils.dll'
file=stdcmds.ex offset=24621

"OK" gives me another couple of similar popups (about 6 or 7 total) with or without the stdcmds.ex detail.

The Slick-C Stack window that appears doesn't give any further information after I click OK to the other popups, and while a popup is waiting, I can't do anything but watching the info that appears there.

Is the GetNativeSystemInfo really needed? if that is the only thing that stands in the way for full W2K support, perhaps can be dropped/replaced with some other calls?

Other than that, SE Core seems to work, for the little I checked.

-TioP

TioP

• Community Member
Re: SE Core 3.6.1 on Windows 2000 ... is it supported?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 09:03:33 PM »
BTW, the function in question is described here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms724340%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

It is (copied verbatim from that page) meant for 64-bit OSs:
Retrieves information about the current system to an application running under WOW64. If the function is called from a 64-bit application, it is equivalent to the GetSystemInfo function.

The SlickEdit programmer could have called just GetSystemInfo for the same money, or make the call depend on the OS on which is running, or, during installation, have 2 versions of winutils.dll - one for each of 32-bit and 64-bit OSs ....

-TioP

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 77
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 02:28:02 PM »
Well to answer the initial question, no...Windows 2000 is not an "officially" supported platform for either of our products.  Here is the system requirements page for the current release of the plugin: http://www.slickedit.com/products/slickedit-core/system-requirements .  We do not test or build on this platform.

As far as the GetNativeSystemInfo call is concerned, I will file a defect about this and see if we can get this changed.  Thanks for the report.

- Ryan

TioP

• Community Member
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 06:50:46 AM »
Hi Ryan, thanks for the response.
Considering how explicit dynamic linking works in Windows, a simple hack will fix this (because, fortunately, the programmer chose to locate the GetNativeSystemInfo entry point in KERNEL32.dll by name, rather than by ordinal number).
A straightforward winutils.dll edit (e.g. with SlickEdit, of course) replacing the single appearance of the "GetNativeSystemInfo" in the executable with "GetSystemInfo", padding the unneeded 6 bytes with zeroes, makes SlickEdit Core function normally in Windows 2000.
A rather innocent fix. Thought I would share this with you (and any other interested user, if SlickEdit support doesn't mind).
Regards,
-TioP