Author Topic: Your debugger is not using the correct symbols...  (Read 23802 times)

lwb78750

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
  • Senior Software Engineer, C++, Qt, C, etc...
Re: Your debugger is not using the correct symbols...
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2011, 08:20:01 PM »
Every optimization I can find is turned off.  Please tell me more about the fully qualified symbol name with module name (mymodule!main) stuff - I'm not sure where I would use that...  Thanks!

lwb78750

• Community Member
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2011, 08:30:05 PM »
Also, I tried using the command line to build:

devenv miniz.sln /Build "Debug|Win32"

... and then debug with SE.  I get the same results for the statics. (they are not available.)

Phil Barila

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 61
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2011, 09:23:09 PM »
Also, I tried using the command line to build:

devenv miniz.sln /Build "Debug|Win32"

... and then debug with SE.  I get the same results for the statics. (they are not available.)
That would suggest that VS isn't building correctly from the command line, when it's building properly from the GUI.  It would definitely not be the first time for that!  Unfortunately, I don't know what you can do to work around it, since it does appear to be a problem with VS, rather than SE.

lwb78750

• Community Member
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2011, 10:11:17 PM »
I built with the Visual Studio GUI and then tried to debug with SE - it still didn't work (for statics).  I then tried to ditch the pdb file and compile with /Z7, but apparently WinDbg only accepts pdb files. :-(.  It would sure help if I could configure another debugger from within SE (like gdb for windows or PEBrowse).  However, at this point, I *do* think this is a VisualStudio/WinDbg problem more than a SE problem.  I think the Visual Studio GUI has more information than what is stored in the pdb files...

hs2

• Hero Points: 292
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2011, 11:04:17 PM »
Stupid question: The pdb files of all the windows libs (ws2_32.lib etc.) are found ? I'm quite sure VS knows about the system lib pdbs and automagically supplies the appropriate path. Maybe you've to add it yourself when doing bare metal windbg'ing.
Good luck, HS2

Phil Barila

• Hero Points: 61
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2011, 11:28:26 PM »
Not intending to be annoying here, but you are using SE where it is weakest, and ignoring VS where it is strongest.
I use SE to edit and build, then run a real build from a command line (I have to move the build products to a new location, and I really don't want to fool around with custom output dirs and nonsense like that, so command line build + RoboCopy is pretty efficient), then debug in the VS GUI.  Works pretty well, actually.

lwb78750

• Community Member
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2011, 01:58:13 PM »
I'm not having problems with the system libs symbols, just the statics from our (my) project.

When I debug in the VS GUI, everything works great.  I'll try building with SE then using VS to debug and see what I get...