Author Topic: Invalid argument when trying to export all options  (Read 5196 times)

rbmisc

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Invalid argument when trying to export all options
« on: September 08, 2011, 12:09:24 PM »
I am trying to export all my options from version 16.0.1 so I can import them into 16.0.2. When I choose Export All Options, I get a popup message with title Slick-C Error. The contents of the popup message are Invalid argument  file=OptionsXMLParser.ex offset=12742.

What is happening here?  Is there a solution so I can export all options?

jimlangrunner

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 31
  • Jim Lang - always a student.
Re: Invalid argument when trying to export all options
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 12:15:49 PM »
Not sure about the error message, but from the start, you don't need to export to upgrade to 16.0.2.  The installation of 16.0.2 will import all your settings from 16.0.1 automagically.

The export/import routine is useful for copying settings from one PC to another, such as when I make a significant change to my settings at home and want to copy them to my PC at work.

rbmisc

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 12:35:29 PM »
I changed the Output buffer size in 16.0.1 and this didn't get imported into 16.0.2.  I would expect this setting to have been imported if 16.0.2 automatically imports all of my settings.

Sandra

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 36
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 01:06:11 PM »
When you get that error, you should get another window popping up with lots and lots of output.  This is the Slick-C stack window.  Can you post the contents of that window?  If it's easier, you can copy it to a txt file and then post that.

As for the Output buffer size, that is not a setting that will be exported as part of Export All Options.  Export mostly refers to the options that are set within the options dialog.  The tool window sizes and positions should have been upgraded automatically to 16.0.2.  Did you make any other tool window position changes?  Were they upgraded?

rbmisc

• Community Member
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 01:49:01 PM »
Here is the file with the information displayed. 

That is disappointing to hear that my variable changes don't get set in the next version.  I also have regular expressions used for searches that didn't get brought into the latest version.  I am not used to updates not using previous settings where possible unless it is a major version change.

Sandra

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 36
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 02:00:20 PM »
My previous statement was not clear - all your settings should be upgraded automatically, just by running 16.0.2 the first time.  If that did not happen, then it's a bug.  I was just clarifying that exporting your options manually (through the options dialog) from 16.0.1 to 16.0.2 will not pick up everything. 

Can you try doing the auto-upgrade again?  To do this, go to your config directory and rename the 16.0.2 configuration.  Leave the 16.0.1 configuration as it is.  Then run 16.0.2.  Do you see the same result as last time?

rbmisc

• Community Member
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 02:19:38 PM »
This time the settings were loaded from 16.0.1 to 16.0.2.  Thanks.