Author Topic: DocBook support  (Read 4035 times)

karsten.burger

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
DocBook support
« on: November 30, 2006, 12:24:30 PM »
please find attached a simple xml alias file which helps entering docbook tags, also a simple html.als for a few html tags.
You can expand the aliases using Ctrl + Space
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 10:12:59 PM by karsten.burger »

Lisa

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 24
  • User-friendly geek-speak translator extraordinaire
Re: DocBook support
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 05:32:55 PM »
Interesting! Thanks for sharing. We did our documentation for the SlickEdit Plug-in for Eclipse product in DocBook. Most of my work has consisted of not creating new documents, but reformatting existing text. Therefore my alias file is full of "surround-with's". I'll post it here in case anyone finds it useful also. I love using an alias for long text such as tables - I type "table", expand it and my whole table template is inserted with hotspots for the title, headings, and initial cells. XML tags can be so verbose...I couldn't live without the alias feature!

karsten.burger

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
Re: DocBook support
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 10:03:07 PM »
..  yes, I like the alias facility very much, because it is really easy to use.

You simply cannot write docbook tags in reasonable time without support of this kind. It would be much easier to enter (and to read!), if one could use short forms as in html (with <li> instead of <listitem><para role="NormalText">).

Here I have to admit, that EMACS has a very good docbook support - with context sensitive help according to the docbook syntax.

Thanks for your XML alias file.

Sometimes I suspect that using LATEX would have been much easier than starting with docbook, and you also can create html pages, pdf, ps, word... files from it.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 10:14:19 PM by karsten.burger »