Author Topic: SlickEdit vs Core Plug-in  (Read 20099 times)

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 77
Re: SlickEdit vs Core Plug-in
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2012, 06:18:16 PM »
But just for completness, there was a SlickEdit Plug-in before SlickEdit Core.  It was a perpetual license version of the eclipse plug-in.  It was discontinued about 3 versions ago and replaced with SlickEdit Core's annual license.  Since they did it with the plug-in, I don't see any guarantee that they won't do it with SlickEdit Stand-Alone in the future.

I have been given no hints or anything of the like that we are planning on doing a subscription licensing model for standalone Slickedit.  The reasons for doing this were very specific to the Eclipse community, and our plugin product...ie, what the Eclipse community was expecting in terms of price point, and how we could more easily expose ourselves to new customers without requiring a much greater financial commitment.  In terms of how things are going for SlickEdit Core, we feel that this was the right way to go.  With SlickEdit, we are perfectly happy the way things are.  If you are looking for something closer to a "gaurantee" about this situation...I would contact Matt or Clark on these boards.

Thanks,

Ryan