Author Topic: SlickEdit vs Core Plug-in  (Read 19743 times)

airborne18th

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
SlickEdit vs Core Plug-in
« on: September 30, 2011, 09:34:55 AM »
I am an old time SlickEdit user and I have not upgraded SlickEdit in years. ( I still run v6 on Windows 7 ).  I have been a SlickEdit users since 1992 or 1993.
Now I am faced with using Eclipse on Ubuntu.  I can't stand Eclipse, but the Intel compiler and tools have plug-ins for Eclipse.

Here is my question. What does the Core Plug-In buy me for Eclipse. Anyone out there do a Trial of both SlickEdit and the Plug-In and choose the Plug-in for any specific reason?  I prefer to go with SlickEdit for linux, but honestly don't have the money and I certainly don't qualify for upgrade pricing.

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 77
Re: SlickEdit vs Core Plug-in
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 02:00:03 PM »
The plug-in is basically marketed toward people who desire (or in your case, are forced) to work within the Eclipse environment and want to use the SlickEdit editor...or just want a much more powerful/flexible editor than is provided by any Eclipse plug-in.

It is the exact same SlickEdit editor you are used to, just plugged right into Eclipse.  All the language support features are there.  We try not to duplicate functionality within Eclipse when it's not necessary.  For example, there is no reason for us to expose SlickEdit's version control support because we feel that Eclipse handles version control very well.  We have included our diff tool because we feel it offers features above and beyond the Eclipse diff tool.

There are some features which are specific to the plug-in and not in the normal SlickEdit product, but they are mostly to better integrate us into the Eclipse environment.  For example, we have an overview ruler to the right of the editor in our Eclipse plug-in, and this feature (which is great) does not exist in normal SlickEdit.  We implemented it for our Eclipse editor because Eclipse users are not used to working without this feature (shows you a full file view of all bookmarks/errors/warnings/tasks/etc. in the current file).

I hope this helped to clear up how the plug-in differs from our standalone product...and I recommend you check out a trial to see if it will work for you.  Just know that the latest version of the plug-in does not run in a 64bit JVM, and therefore will not run in 64bit Eclipse...this is the most common setup/installation problem.

- Ryan

mwb1100

• Hero Points: 13
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 12:06:00 AM »
Another thing that may be important to airbourne18th (seeing how long SE v6 was used) is that SlickEdit Core is sold as an annual subscription.  So after a year, it'll stop working unless you pay to renew the subscription. At least that's my understanding of the licensing  model.

Phil Barila

• Hero Points: 61
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 12:24:52 AM »
Another thing that may be important to airbourne18th (seeing how long SE v6 was used) is that SlickEdit Core is sold as an annual subscription.  So after a year, it'll stop working unless you pay to renew the subscription. At least that's my understanding of the licensing  model.
Nope, once you pay for it, it's yours forever.  But you get new versions when they become available, as well as get to participate in beta testing, which allows you to shape the product to some degree.  If you upgrade when new versions become available, M&S is a no-brainer.  @airborne18th certainly doesn't fit that model.   :D

mwb1100

• Hero Points: 13
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 12:51:06 AM »
Then I must have misunderstood this post from way back when:

The SlickEdit Plug-in is a perpetual license offering Maintenance and Support as an optional, additional charge. SlickEdit Core is licensed as an annual subscription, which includes a one-year Maintenance and Support Service.

That post makes it sound (to me) as though SE Core does not have a 'perpetual license'. I should also mention the disclaimer that I'm not a SlickEdit Core user, so it is entirely possible that I don't know what I'm talking about.

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 01:39:03 AM »

The SlickEdit Plug-in is a perpetual license offering Maintenance and Support as an optional, additional charge. SlickEdit Core is licensed as an annual subscription, which includes a one-year Maintenance and Support Service.

That post makes it sound (to me) as though SE Core does not have a 'perpetual license'. I should also mention the disclaimer that I'm not a SlickEdit Core user, so it is entirely possible that I don't know what I'm talking about.

No, that is correct...Core is (and has been for 3 versions) an annual subscription.  It is $99 per year and that includes maintenance and support, which entitles you to support (duh) and any versions of the product which are released during that period.

airborne18th

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 05:08:00 AM »
Honestly I am not adverse to paying an annual subscription, given the price is reasonable.  For Mathematica I pay alot more than 99.00.   

Especially for Linux tools I really don't mind paying developers for their work if they maintain the product. I have never been a big fan of OpenSource for several reasons, and my corporate clients would never touch it for copyright reasons ( aka Wordperfect's infamous punishment of companies ).

I spent most of my life as a developer and why is it that we should not expect to get paid for our work.  Too many in the business side of things have this notion that thinking of the idea is the hard part, and you just hire a few programmers and poof you are Microsoft. 

Anyway I downloaded the trial. It is really a test to see how well Eclipse plays with others.  My experience with Intel's compilers and tools is not promising.

My only real spin on SlickEdit is that the pricing does not make sense from a business standpoint. Considering Eclipse is the standard for Linux, SlickEdit on Linux could easily dominate the market, but not at the current pricing. 99.00 for the plug-in, or 300 for SlickEdit.  Personally I would rather support my own product and compete with Eclipse, than deal with the issues of integrating with basically an opensource hack job like Eclipse.

mwilkins

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 12:15:33 PM »

No, that is correct...Core is (and has been for 3 versions) an annual subscription.  It is $99 per year and that includes maintenance and support, which entitles you to support (duh) and any versions of the product which are released during that period.
SO I am confused now, I still do not think it is Clear. When my year subscription runs out, will I still be able to use the plugin I have purchased or will it tell me I have to pay more money and disable itself?

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 01:48:28 PM »
This plugin is sold as a 1 year subscription.  So when you purchase SlickEdit Core you purchase 1 year of the product...which includes any releases in that year, as well as support and maintenance.  Once the expiration date on your license is hit, you will have to renew your subscription in order to keep using the product...that license file will no longer work.  You will be reminded about this 30 days prior to expiration.

I hope this clears up any confusion...please don't hesitate to ask about anything else, or you can contact our Sales department (sales@slickedit.com) if you wish.

Thanks,

Ryan

Phil Barila

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 02:56:21 PM »
@Ryan, that's a different model than the SE product itself, is that correct?
Once I buy an SE license, it's a perpetual license for that version, and it will continue to be useful until there is not an OS available on which to run it.
I am current on my SE M&S, so I don't have any recent experience with license expiration.  Has there been a major change  in policy?/color]

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 03:05:37 PM »
Yes, the SlickEdit standalone product is a perpetual license.  That policy has not changed, and there are no plans to change that.  Only our Eclipse plugin is sold as an annual subscription.

Phil Barila

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 03:08:11 PM »
I think I'm kind of dense today.  What is the difference between the "Core" and "Plugin" products?  Is it just the license differences?

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 03:12:52 PM »
Sorry...I should probably always say "Core".  SlickEdit Core is an Eclipse plugin...that's the only reason why I referred to it as "our Eclipse plugin".  The only 2 products we sell now are SlickEdit, and SlickEdit Core for Eclipse :).

Phil Barila

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 03:23:22 PM »
Thanks for the clarification.

PlanetPratt

• Hero Points: 6
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 04:01:12 PM »
But just for completness, there was a SlickEdit Plug-in before SlickEdit Core.  It was a perpetual license version of the eclipse plug-in.  It was discontinued about 3 versions ago and replaced with SlickEdit Core's annual license.  Since they did it with the plug-in, I don't see any guarantee that they won't do it with SlickEdit Stand-Alone in the future.
  (*Chris*)