Author Topic: VSE 16 with the Microsoft Ergonomic 4000 Keyboard  (Read 1909 times)

tinker123

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 3
VSE 16 with the Microsoft Ergonomic 4000 Keyboard
« on: October 11, 2011, 03:05:41 pm »
I'm on windows XP pro.   I recently installed a Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 ( and the software that came with it ).

This keyboard has 5 juicy, unused, numbered keys about the function keys.   They keys are set up to open files of your choice, but I would rather bind them to slickedit commands.   I didn't have much luck with that going to Tools > Options > Keyboard and Mouse.

Anyone using VSE and the Microsoft 40000 keyboard have luck with making use out of those "favorite" keys?

Thanks

hs2

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 288
Re: VSE 16 with the Microsoft Ergonomic 4000 Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 06:21:51 pm »
I'm using 'Autohotkey' for keyboard/mouse tuning. I think it should be possible to remap them to something recognized by SE and/or other programs.
HS2

tinker123

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 3
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 01:12:00 pm »
I downloaded it.  It looks like an extremely fun as well useful piece of software.  Thanks!

Dennis

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 438
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 01:36:47 pm »
I have that keyboard also, but I am running Windows 7.

Those keys are not handled like typical keys, they are mapped to either open items on your taskbar, or to open specific files.  You can bring up the configuration dialog by hitting the "My Favorites" key smack in the center of that keyboard.  I use the taskbar option on Windows 7, because I keep task manager, command prompt, visual studio, mozilla and outlook pinned to the task bar in a predictable order, so it makes a very quick application switcher.

The other option is to assign a program to be ran when one of those keys are hit.  If you want SlickEdit to run a slickedit command on one of these keys, you could have it run something like '"C:\Program Files\SlickEditv16.0.3\win\vs.exe" -#config'.  If you put SlickEdit on your path when you installed it, you should be able to get away with just "vs -#config"  This will find your running instance of slickedit and inject that command.  It works OK, as long as you aren't running multiple instances of SlickEdit.