Author Topic: VSDiff from the Command Line  (Read 7537 times)

PlanetPratt

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 6
VSDiff from the Command Line
« on: October 25, 2011, 07:05:24 PM »
Is it possible to run VSDiff from the command line?  When I try it complains about not being able to locate vs.exe, and since I'm running core, I don't have a vs.exe.  Thanks.
  (*Chris*)

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 77
Re: VSDiff from the Command Line
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 02:07:55 PM »
Unfortunately, vsdiff from the command line requires vs.exe because it actually runs the whole editor hidden in order to launch the diff tool :(.  I will file a bug report for this, and see if we can get it changed...at least we can list it as a limitation in the documentation for the next release, if we cannot get the implementation changed in that time frame.  Thanks for the report.

- Ryan

PlanetPratt

• Hero Points: 6
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 05:43:39 PM »
Hmmm, since it works fine when executed within Core, it must not be a hard requirement.  ???  Seems like it would be just a command line parameter that's being passed internally or something similar.  Too bad!  :(

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 77
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 02:58:47 PM »
Well, because something runs within Core, from the Core command line, that doesn't mean it will run by itself on the system command line.  Even though vsdiff.exe appears to run by itself, it is actually starting a hidden version of SlickEdit so that it will work...because vsdiff uses SlickEdit editor controls, and uses SlickC.

Core doesn't have the ability to run a hidden version of SlickEdit since there is no vs.exe available.  In order to change this I think we'd have to launch a hidden (headless) version of Eclipse, and go from there.

- Ryan