Author Topic: SlickEdit File Association?!  (Read 12190 times)

Wanderer

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 23
SlickEdit File Association?!
« on: December 04, 2006, 06:57:21 pm »
Hello,

WinXP sp2.

Tools->Options->File Types.

I'd like to associate SlickEdit with a particular file extension.  I select the extension, click Change; SlickEdit is not listed.  Even using the Browse button, and selecting vs.exe, it doesn't show up in the list.

What's going on?

hs2

• Hero Points: 291
Re: SlickEdit File Association?!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 07:15:08 pm »
Hello Wanderer,

my (SE v11.02 @ WXP-SP2) 'Tools -> Options -> Associate File Types' dialog seems to be different.
There is no 'Change' ???

Do you mean the Windows-way of changing file ext. association ?
Even if 'vs.exe' is not registered to the default 'Open with' list you may browse to the 'vs.exe' file manually.

HS2

Wanderer

• Hero Points: 23
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 07:34:02 pm »
Hello Wanderer,

my (SE v11.02 @ WXP-SP2) 'Tools -> Options -> Associate File Types' dialog seems to be different.
There is no 'Change' ???

Do you mean the Windows-way of changing file ext. association ?
Even if 'vs.exe' is not registered to the default 'Open with' list you may browse to the 'vs.exe' file manually.

HS2

Yes, I was referring to using Windows Explorer.  As I mentioned, using the Browse button to select vs.exe does not bring it in to the list of executables.
I got around it by using the Advanced options to kill the existing association, adding SlickEdit, and adding the original app as another option.

Dswag89

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 4
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 04:15:33 pm »
I just had a real problem with this as well.  When I upgraded to SE2007, I did not uninstall SE11.  As a result, my file associations were still set to 11.  This was causing mild confusion, so I took the opportunity to fix it.  As I attempted to do so, I ran into the same problem as Wanderer.  I would go to the Windows Exploder (sic) File Association window and attempt to browse to "c:\Program Files\SlickEdit 2007\win\vs.exe"  The problem was, it wouldn't "take".  It would go back to the association window and not have it as an option. 

I then thought I'd be smart and instead try to associate to my desktop shortcut to SE2007.  That *appeared* to work, but then when I tried to launch a .TXT document from an Outhouse (sic) e-mail, I got a message from Windows that it ran out of memory and that I needed to close down some programs and try again.  One reboot later, and the problem did not correct itself.  That was the point that I found this thread and used the "Advanced" Tab to solve my problem.  I did also notice in the Tools->Options->Associate File Types dialog in SE2007, that TXT is not an option... it should be.

So far, I've only seen this and one other thread concerning file associations in 2007, but is this a bug that SE is working on?

hs2

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 06:17:51 pm »
@Dswag89: You just need to add a new file extension 'txt' yourself. After doing so it's also available in the file associations.

HS2

Dswag89

• Community Member
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 07:10:16 pm »
HS2, you mean create a "txt" association out in Windows?  If so, then it is already there.  For some reason, though, SE isn't picking it up.  I find this very odd.  Everything's working correctly right now, so I'm happy.  I just know the the SE development team reads this community so I wanted to post up to let them know the kinds of problems folks are having.  Granted, I don't think Windows Associations falls under the realm of SE's responsibilities, but wanted to throw it out there nonetheless.  The one thing I've considered was the "SlickEdit 2007" directory name.  Wondering if the space in it is throwing something off in Windows.  Granted, simple logic says that it shouldn't, given that "SlickEdit 2007" (with a space) is directly under "Program Files" (also with a space), but since when has Microsoft failed to defy simple logic?!

hs2

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 07:57:11 pm »
I mean 'Tools -> Options -> Associate File Types'. It's working fine for me.
The list of file types there is the list of file extensions known to SE.
By default SE doesn't know 'txt'. Just add 'txt' as new file extension in 'Tools -> Options -> File extensions' and setup the assoc. to SE after that in 'Tools -> Options -> Associate File Types'.

Hope it works also for you,

HS2

Dswag89

• Community Member
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 08:00:28 pm »
Cool deal, thanks for that clarification!  I got it now!!

Tim Kemp

• Hero Points: 91
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 12:06:50 pm »
I'd been meaning to post something about this.  Ever since I updated to 2007 I can't seem to get SlickEdit to register for any file types.  I've tried unregistering and re-registering types, but the old associations don't change.  I never saw this problem with previous versions.

Mike

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 20
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2007, 09:31:47 pm »
If you are still having difficulty, there are two strings in the registry where Windows XP (and Vista) looks for programs to use in the Open dialog.  Our future installers should correctly set these values; and adding these strings should eliminate this problem.  I have attached two registry changes that should allow you to do this.  As always, you should backup registry entries before making any changes.

If you are familiar with regedit, you can review the attached files and confirm the settings in your registry; or you can change the extension of both attachments to .REG and then just double click them.

Regards,
Mike
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 06:27:26 pm by Mike »

Geraint

• New Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2007, 11:42:57 am »
This doesn't work from me. Both files are full of non-printable characters...
 :(

hs2

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2007, 12:16:00 pm »
Exported my reg. entry - looks a bit better.
Don't forget to adopt the path to vs.exe.

Good luck,

HS2

Mike

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 20
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2007, 05:37:35 pm »
Something odd occurred in my uploaded files when I added the .txt.
The .txt extension which I hoped would make it easier to download, inadvertently upset the apple cart.

I renamed mine and they look OK now.  The file in the above post from HS2 is a merge of my two files.

Thanks HS2!