Author Topic: Project on a Portable Drive, Strangeness with Backup History  (Read 14265 times)

Graeme

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 322
Re: Project on a Portable Drive, Strangeness with Backup History
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2006, 11:27:25 am »

Well, it took me a while... but, I finally thought maybe ./SlickBackups works on Windows (XP) - and it does.  Slick creates a SlickBackups folder in the subdirectory of the folder where the file being backed up is, with no unnecessary directory tree.  That's exactly what I want.  A directory tree wouldn't really be a problem either.

Unexpectedly, here I am again  :)

I take back what I said about the directory tree.  That would screw things up because I when I take code between machines, the path on one machine is usually different to the path on the other machine, which means the backup file would be in a different place on the two machines and not shared at all.  So slick currently works how I want (on Windows).  What does that mean for unix?

Right, I'm going to bed now.

Graeme

Dave_Sinkula

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 4
Re: Project on a Portable Drive, Strangeness with Backup History
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2006, 08:56:36 pm »
Back to the original problem.  Go to the File Options / Backup tab, and set your Backup directory to a relative drive path, for example, "\vsdelta\".  This will tell SlickEdit to put the backup history at the root of the drive for the file being worked on.

Disavantage:  it puts '\vsdelta\" directories at the root of each of your drives when you save files.
Advantage:  your backup history travels with your portable drive.
First thanks for getting back to me and sorry to have slipped away on this. I'll give this a try.

Does this mean that there will be separate sub-deltas for each machine and/or however the drive shows up? That is, if on Machine1 the drive shows up as I:, and on Machine2 the drive may show up as either J: or K:, that the vsdelta on the removeable drive would have separate backup histories I, J, and K -- and that to get the same backup history on the removeable drive that it would have to always show up as the same drive?