Author Topic: v11 filename completion bug/suggestion  (Read 16361 times)

hs2

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 292
Re: v11 filename completion bug/suggestion
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2006, 06:22:16 PM »
Good luck Clark !

HS2

PS: What are you going to do ? Just curious ...
And forget about my patch mentioned earlier. It's almost useless and was based on a misunderstanding. If I want to 'cd' I do 'cd'.
The 'better completion control' is much more interesting (for me).

greggman

• Hero Points: 14
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2006, 07:22:04 PM »
Thank you for checking into this.  Good Luck!  :)

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 528
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2006, 02:10:24 PM »
I have made some enhancements to V12 so that after selecting an auto-completion directory when using the edit, save_as, get, or put commands, a list of files contained in that directory is displayed.  This ended up being too many changes to put this into V11.

hs2

• Hero Points: 292
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2006, 10:26:07 PM »
Sounds great Clark !
Thanks for the effort to help cmdline enthusiasts like me (and you - I think)
Looking fwd to v12 - but take your time !

HS2

greggman

• Hero Points: 14
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2006, 04:33:45 PM »
I have another request I hope you'll consider.

In the standard Windows XP dialog like the one shown above, as I type filenames it shows the possible completions, the list of which gets shorter and shorter as less items match.

If I press backspace and delete characters the list enlarges again. This doesn't happen in slickedit and it's pretty annoying because it means since I actually use the completions, anytime I type a wrong letter I have to delete 2 previous letters to get my completions to appear.

I run into this it feels like 1 of 3 or even 1 of 2 times at least recently.  Probably what is happening is I have 20 files all starting with "win" and I keep thinking that the file I want starts with "winb" so I type "winb" but it turns out I'm wrong and I forgot what it starts with so I backspace to "win" to get all files that start with "win" except slickedit doesn't re-do the completions like XP does. So, I have to backspace over the "n" as well and re-type it just to get the completions.

Another minor request, slickedit only shows 4 completions at a time. It would be nice if it would expand the window a little or let me set it (maybe this is one of those hidden settings?)

thank you for listening.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 528
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2006, 07:22:39 PM »
I found some minor bugs.  Windows treats say "c:\temp\junk" as "c:\temp\junk*" and will display a list if there is more than one match.  This is the problem you are seeing.  SlickEdit doesn't do this but needs to.  I also found another bug where if you type "c:\public" where public is a directory and then hit backspace, the list really doesn't want to come back up.  I couldn't reproduce this problem on a directory with spaces.  I can't promise I'll have time to fix these before V12, but I've added them to my todo list.