Author Topic: Config a 3rd party compare tool  (Read 9423 times)

Exolon

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 5
  • https://blog.mdb977.de/
Config a 3rd party compare tool
« on: December 07, 2006, 07:37:58 AM »
Hi,

I d like to use my own compare tool instead of vsdiff within SE. How can I reconfigure SE to use 3rd party compare tools?

Thanx

Exo

cbretteville

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
Re: Config a 3rd party compare tool
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 12:39:52 PM »
Bump. I'd like to know this too.
- Carl

Graeme

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 347
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 07:13:32 PM »

What things are you trying to diff?  Two buffers, backup history, ... what?

Ding Zhaojie

• Hero Points: 37
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 04:57:24 AM »
I think diffzilla is great! Mostly because the perfect syntax highlighting. Many diff/merge tools lake this.

lambertia

• Hero Points: 14
  • I have nothing sufficiently witty to say.
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 05:27:57 AM »
I think diffzilla is great! Mostly because the perfect syntax highlighting. Many diff/merge tools lake this.

I am tending to use WinMerge instead of DiffZilla lately. The main reason is the key bindings in WinMerge are great:

Crtl-Up, Ctrl-Down to go between diffs and Ctrl-Left, Ctrl-Right to copy diffs from one side to another.

I find DZ to be unusable via the keyboard. Is there anyway that I can change its key bindings?

Cheers,
--
Greg.

Exolon

• Community Member
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 07:02:00 AM »

I'd like to replace all diff functionality within slickedit.
But if not possible at least replace diffzilla for Backup History comparison would be fine.

Exolon

• Community Member
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 07:06:32 AM »

Yes, diffzilla has some great features, but it do lack some others (e.g. isolating code blocks, sync start line, ect.). Therefore a replace for diffzilla make sense for some users.

Graeme

• Hero Points: 347
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 08:32:15 AM »

I'd like to replace all diff functionality within slickedit.
But if not possible at least replace diffzilla for Backup History comparison would be fine.

I don't have the time or desire to try this myself, but, for backup history, in the module tbdeltasave.e, you'll see there are 3 places that call a Slick C function called diff. You could replace these with a call to your own slick function.  Two of the calls are passing "viewids" and one is passing a filename and viewid.  For the viewids, you could probably write the specified buffer to a temporary file on disk, then call your own diff tool.  Diff tools I know of usually accept the names of two files to be compared, as parameters on the command line.  If you modify the file in your external diff tool, you have the problem of getting the modified file updated in SlickEdit  - not sure how you'd do that - your slick function might need to ensure the file was saved to disk before calling your diff tool, then always reload it afterwards, but this will screw up slicks "backup history" deltas and defeat the purpose of this great feature.

You can also see the SlickC function diff call the built-in Diff function - (see line 18451 in builtins.e) and it probably uses vsvcs.dll to do the diff -  so you could also try to replace the calls to Diff (the builtin) with your own SlickC function - that would catch more diff operations but you'd have to figure out all the options etc.

Graeme
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 10:38:19 AM by Graeme »

hs2

• Hero Points: 292
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2006, 09:54:07 AM »
@lambertia:
It's not very convenient but it's not impossible (and helps me a lot) ;)

Howto change DZ keybinding:
http://community.slickedit.com/index.php?topic=665.msg2975#msg2975

Good luck,

HS2