Author Topic: References not found in source parts hidden by selective display ?  (Read 7822 times)

hs2

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 292
Hello SlickTeam,

is it intended that e.g. 'Find references' ignores hidden parts (selective display) of the source (and therefore doesn't find all references) ?
It doesn't matter if incremental / complete mode is choosen.

HS2

Wanderer

• Hero Points: 23
Re: References not found in source parts hidden by selective display ?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 07:35:34 PM »
I wonder if it is related to Search->Find->Search Hidden Text....

hs2

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 07:47:31 PM »
@Wanderer: Search hidden is ON :(
I can't imagine that this is intended b/c it's quite irritiating and may lead to wrong results/assumptions.
I really thought that this (and other symbol oriented features) is tag based...

One more strange effect:
If I do a find ref. on a symbol where the buffer is collapsed to methods/procedure sometimes one of the (collapsed) methods is expanded.

HS2

Dennis

• Hero Points: 517
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 05:26:47 PM »
Good catch, that is definately a bug.  Thanks for reporting this.

hs2

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 06:40:56 PM »
Sorry for bugging you ;)

HS2

hs2

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006, 12:05:00 PM »
Ping ...

@SlickTeam: Is there a chance to get a fix for that ?
It's a major issue at least for me :(
It renders the 'selective display' feature unusable b/c I need to trust the 'find ref.s' and I can't (and don't want) to keep in mind if there are some 'collapsed lines' in the project which I need to expand first ...
On the other hand the 'selective display' feature is a really great help getting my current job done in time...
( '...rework this legacy product to make it running stable...' :( - where I highly appreciate all the neat assistance of Slick )

Thanks a lot in advance,

HS2

Dennis

• Hero Points: 517
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 12:56:26 AM »
@HS2:  Unfortunately, this is a bug that can not be contained in a hot fix or patch.  It was big can of worms, because I soon discovered as I researched the problem that there were a lot of features that did not work right with selective display active.  This problem has existed since version 4.0, so, like I said, great catch for being the first person to report it to us.  The final fix involved changes to one of the DLL's as well as 79 macros.  The good news is the problem, as well several related bugs, is definately fixed for the next major release.

Suggested partial workaround, since you are more adept with Slick-C than the average SlickEdit user, write a "show-all-push-ref" macro that does a show-all on all your open buffers, and then does push-ref.  If you wanted to get fancy, you could even save and restore selective display instead of just doing show-all.  Also, FYI, this isn't how we fixed the issue, the actual fix works much more transparently, only expanding hidden blocks as needed when you navigate to a reference.

hs2

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 02:54:43 AM »
Thanks a lot Dennis !
I'm really looking fwd to the next major ...
Yes - I also had a look into the suspicious modules and I quickly gave up going deeper.
I've seen that this needs a SlickHero to solve ...
And yes - the 'brute force' WA using a preceeding show_all applied to the buffer list also came into my simple mind.
But what about ref's in not yet loaded buffers where the sel.disp. status was saved ?
If the sel.disp. status is restored on load (as it should) I'd need to use _switchbuf or even worse patching next_error...
I think there would be some nice sideeffects.
However, for the time being I disabled the 'sel.disp' restoration and write the show-all-push-ref.

HS2