Author Topic: [SOLVED] Copy-Paste of partial line ending at keyword produces whole-line paste.  (Read 1950 times)

donjoe

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
I have this line in my .cpp source file:
    pNewOutputFile = new CAtlFile();

I select and Ctrl-C this part of it:
    [pNewOutputFile = ]new CAtlFile();

... but when I Ctrl-V it somewhere else in the file I get the full line pasted:
    pNewOutputFile = new CAtlFile();

... instead of what I expected:
    pNewOutputFile =

... and I think it has something to do with my selection ending right before a keyword, because I've tried the same operation on other substrings of the same line and the behaviour is not the same. (I remember this bugging me in SE v12 as well, but I don't remember if there was anything I could do about it back then or if I got any explanation etc.)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 11:46:27 am by donjoe »

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 72
Re: Copy-Paste of partial line ending at keyword produces whole-line paste.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 04:56:52 pm »
Can you reproduce this at will?

What do you see if you use Edit>List Clipboards?

chrisant

• Hero Points: 130
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 07:21:29 pm »
Are you using SE over a remote desktop connection?

There are some quirks with RDC that affect how SE uses clipboards -- I can explain further if you're using RDC.

donjoe

• Community Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 12:12:55 pm »
Can you reproduce this at will?
Unfortunately, no. Today I can't seem to reproduce it at all, it must need some very special conditions to happen.

What do you see if you use Edit>List Clipboards?
I'll take a look next time it happens.

And no, I'm not using SE remotely.

donjoe

• Community Member
Pfffff, I think I just figured out what my problem was: for some stupid reason, Windows doesn't always copy the currently selected text in whatever editor is open if I just press Ctrl-C once - I have to do it multiple times. This has been the case, in my experience, for many years, so I've developed the habit of always pressing Ctrl-C 2-3 times whenever I want to copy the current selection (whatever selection, whatever program it's in; and no, it's not my keyboard - I've used many keyboards over the years and I've never had any special problems typing the letter "C"). The problem in SlickEdit is that after the first (successful) Ctrl-C is registered, the selection disappears and all I'm left with is the text cursor being on the current line. In these conditions, my next Ctrl-C will copy the entire line and overwrite what I previously had in the clipboard and by the time I move over to my destination to do the Ctrl-V, I'll be in for that irritating surprise I was talking about. :)

All because I had the "Deselect after copy" option checked. *bashes head against wall*
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 02:35:26 pm by donjoe »

Phil Barila

• Hero Points: 61
All because I had the "Deselect after copy" option checked.
Never noticed that particular detail before.  That was the root of a few annoyances that never rose to the level of complaining about them.  Thanks!  ++HP!