Author Topic: SlickEdit 2011 v16.0.3.0 64-bit - Slow  (Read 8663 times)

striker69

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
SlickEdit 2011 v16.0.3.0 64-bit - Slow
« on: February 01, 2012, 01:57:17 pm »
Hi,
I have been using SlickEdit for more than 1 year now and I am quite satisfied with it. However, I always noticed that sometimes the software is slow. I am just now reporting this to see if there's anything you can do to help.

My setup:
  • quad-core i7, 8 GB ram, SSD
  • Windows 7, 64-bit
  • SlickEdit 2011 64-bit, v16.0.3.0
  • Brief emulation mode

Here are a couple of situations where I find the SlickEdit slow
  • When saving a file, it can take up to 10 seconds before I get back the control. Most of the time, it takes 2-3 seconds, which is really annoying since I tend to save often. Is it related to the backup history?
  • When navigating a file using search, it sometimes take 1-2 seconds before moving to the next occurrence
  • When editing a file and entering text, it sometimes lag before showing the actual typed text. I suspect the auto-complete feature, but can't be sure

Anything you can do to help me pinpoint the problems and improve performance is appreciated.

Thanks,
Marc

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 114
Re: SlickEdit 2011 v16.0.3.0 64-bit - Slow
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 02:02:26 pm »
I suppose it is possible that is backup history.  Are they very large files?  What happens if you shut it off?  If you don't want to shut it off, you could try "save +o" on the SlickEdit command line to save without a backup.

Are your source files local?  Are your backups local?

Finally, the performance of backup history (like DIFFzilla) is tied directly to the number of differences.  So if you have a large file that you changed by 50% before saving it that will have an impact.  This comes more with diff than backup history, but it seemed worth mentioning.

If none of this helps, please let me know and we'll explore what else could be going on here.

Dennis

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 364
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 02:55:59 pm »
Try profiling.  Macro > Slick-C profiler > ...

Other common questions to ask yourself if you are having performance issues?

Do you have Symbol Coloring turned on?
Which tool windows do you have docked?
Are your files local or remote?
How many files are in your workspace?

striker69

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 01:40:24 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply.

• Coloring is turned on
  • Default tool windows docked & collapsed (Projects, defs, symbols, tags & Open). I just closed them all except Open. I'll test to see if that changes anything.
  • All the files are local, backup is also local. Backup on HD, files on SSD
  • The project contains ~6,600 files.

I will do more testing with the changes I did and run the profiler. I'll get back to you.

Thanks,
Marc

Dennis

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 09:24:05 pm »
Do you mean Symbol Coloring is on?  Check your "View" menu.

Try turning Symbol Coloring off and see if the performance difficulties subside.  I suspect that they will.  Symbol Coloring is an expensive feature, and does not yet scale up well to large C++ projects.  We have plans for the future to improve that.  In the interim, we are considering adding a "simple-stupid" lookup option for symbol coloring so that it will work fast, but less accurately.

striker69

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 04:51:11 pm »
Yep, Symbol coloring was on.

Turning it off made SlickeEdit a lot faster, I mean it! I do miss the colors, though!

Let me know if I can help you test a new feature that would enable some sort of symbol coloring.

Thanks,
Marc

donjoe

• Community Member
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 11:59:42 am »
I'm seeing the same things in the 32-bit version.

My setup:
  • Core2 Quad Q9500, 4 GB RAM, HDD @7200 RPM
  • Windows XP, 32-bit
  • SlickEdit 2011 32-bit, v16.0.3.0
  • Visual C++ 6 emulation mode

Here are a couple of situations where I find the SlickEdit slow
  • When saving a file, it can take up to 10 seconds before I get back the control. Most of the time, it takes 2-3 seconds, which is really annoying since I tend to save often. Is it related to the backup history?
  • When navigating a file using search, it sometimes take 1-2 seconds before moving to the next occurrence
  • When editing a file and entering text, it sometimes lag before showing the actual typed text. I suspect the auto-complete feature, but can't be sure
All of the above, plus:
After typing the first chars of a symbol I have to wait about 1 second for the autocomplete suggestions list to appear, despite my restrictive autocomplete content requirements and tight timing options (see attachments).
This also happens with the default timing/performance options.

Autocomplete is now woefully slow, it's nothing like the speed of v12 which was a major factor in my falling in love with SE, i.e. how it allowed me to type continuously/fluidly - at normal typing speed - even while autocompleting symbols along the way.

It can't be the hardware because 1. VisualStudio shows the autocomplete list much faster on the same machine and 2. the old machine I used SE v12 on was significantly slower than this one and autocomplete worked brilliantly there.

Other notes:
- Symbol coloring is turned off.
- Background tagging of "other files" is turned off.
- All source/header/lib files are local.
- Current workspace has 48 files in it.
- Docked tool windows are: Project, Defs, Class, Symbols, Open (all pinned up) and Search Results, Preview, References, Build, Message List, Output (all auto-hidden).
- Bookmark stack depth is 5 and I've turned off every kind of auto-push I could.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 12:05:21 pm by donjoe »

donjoe

• Community Member
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 12:27:35 pm »
Installed yesterday's hotfix #7.
Restarted SE (with previously open workspace and files).
Started profiling.
Entered the letters "Sta" and waited for autocomplete list to appear.
Stopped profiling.
Saved results (see attachment).

Dennis

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 04:21:24 pm »
Your profiling results show about 126ms being spent in auto-complete and around 600ms being spent evaluating the symbol under the mouse.

If you go to Document > C/C++ Options > Context Tagging and turn off the option to show information for the symbol under the mouse, then you might be able to avoid some of these delays.

The profiling results do not speak to the other performance issues you are reporting.  If you can profile it in the act of taking time to save or navigate or type text, then it will be more possible to narrow down the reason for the delays.

How many C/C++ tag files do you have?  How large are they?  This may be the difference between v12 and SlickEdit 2011, if you have very large language specific (or C/C++ compiler specific) tag files that you did not have set up in the other version.  Given the response times you are getting from tagging, I do suspect that you have some very large tag files other than your workspace tag file.

A few more questions.  How large is the file you are editing when you see delays?  Is it C or C++ code?  Does it contain embedded assembly language or SQL?

donjoe

• Community Member
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 02:54:17 pm »
If you go to Document > C/C++ Options > Context Tagging and turn off the option to show information for the symbol under the mouse, then you might be able to avoid some of these delays.
Not an option, that's a functionality almost as important for me as autocomplete, i.e. one of the main things I expect from any professional IDE.

The profiling results do not speak to the other performance issues you are reporting.  If you can profile it in the act of taking time to save or navigate or type text, then it will be more possible to narrow down the reason for the delays.
Those other things may have been due to background operations I hadn't tinkered with yet. If they happen again in the future often enough to become annoying, I'll do some more profiling and get back to you.

How many C/C++ tag files do you have?  How large are they?  This may be the difference between v12 and SlickEdit 2011, if you have very large language specific (or C/C++ compiler specific) tag files that you did not have set up in the other version.
Yep, that was a major cause of my SE's slow performance :) - unlike in the days of v12, I'm currently working at a project involving multiple SDKs, one of which is the enormous Boost library. Just eliminating Boost (which is barely used in the components I usually have to deal with) from one of my tagfiles has already given me a significant speedup of the autocomplete functionality.

Thanks!

RaffoPazzo

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 01:53:34 pm »
I'm also experiencing slowness problems, particuarly with one of the Java projects I work on.
A typical case (the most frustrating one) is this:
Code: [Select]
  String<press_space_here>
When I press space after String, SE hangs. In attachment you can find a profiling for this use case, which shows tag_list_symbols_in_context as the most consuming resource.

There is also a second profiling report, which shows again tag_list_symbols_in_context as the most consuming resource, but in this case SE hanged during a "Find Symbol" toolbox search.

In general, all the times I experience SE hanging the profiling results point to tag_list_symbols_in_context.

I have no symbol coloring enabled, no save history enabled.
I had some improvement when i disabled background tagging for open files (which had a start-after-timeout set to 3secs).
I have, currently, also disabled background tagging of other files.
For completeness, you can find in attachment also all of my SE configuration options exported directly from SE.

chrisant

• Hero Points: 131
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 08:32:50 pm »
I'd like to see low priority operations happen in the background:

For example, instead of taking 600ms on the main thread to look up the symbol under the cursor to pop up a tooltip, have the main thread trigger a background thread to look up the symbol, so the main thread can focus on editing and being responsive.  If/when the background thread finds a symbol, it can trigger the main thread to pop up a tooltip.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 344
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 01:58:21 pm »
I totally agree. Changes like this are on our performance enhancement road map.

rwuest

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 06:48:12 pm »
I noticed a slowdown almost immediately upon installing 16.03 and was rather frustrated by it.  The worst part is when scrolling through a file with the wheel mouse: it goes a few 10s of lines, pauses (even though I am still turning the wheel) then takes off scrolling again.

I also have the same version installed on a laptop that I take to customer sites.  I don't use it very much, but still have to fix code during testing on site and it dawned on my a few weeks ago that the laptop version was not hanging when I scrolled through a file.  If anything, I'd expect the laptop version to be slower as it is running on a slower processor and in a VMware environment with only 1 cpu and much less memory.  The laptop has RHEL 5.4 and my desktop has Fedora 14.  I have removed most of my tag files on the desktop version and the main c/c++ tag file is about the same - they both need the same libraries installed.

I installed hotfix 9 on my desktop version just a few minutes ago (they were both at 5) and it is not any different as far as I can tell.

It's really frustrating, this is the first version of vs since I started using it at version 1.7 that I haven't loved, I even curse at it sometimes when it sits there doing whatever it is doing but not scrolling my window!

Robert

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 114
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 06:50:17 pm »
I noticed a slowdown almost immediately upon installing 16.03 and was rather frustrated by it.  The worst part is when scrolling through a file with the wheel mouse: it goes a few 10s of lines, pauses (even though I am still turning the wheel) then takes off scrolling again.

I also have the same version installed on a laptop that I take to customer sites.  I don't use it very much, but still have to fix code during testing on site and it dawned on my a few weeks ago that the laptop version was not hanging when I scrolled through a file.  If anything, I'd expect the laptop version to be slower as it is running on a slower processor and in a VMware environment with only 1 cpu and much less memory.  The laptop has RHEL 5.4 and my desktop has Fedora 14.  I have removed most of my tag files on the desktop version and the main c/c++ tag file is about the same - they both need the same libraries installed.

I installed hotfix 9 on my desktop version just a few minutes ago (they were both at 5) and it is not any different as far as I can tell.

It's really frustrating, this is the first version of vs since I started using it at version 1.7 that I haven't loved, I even curse at it sometimes when it sits there doing whatever it is doing but not scrolling my window!

Robert

Can you try moving the laptop config to your desktop and run with it and see what happens?  Don't eliminate your old config, just put it somewhere and run with "-sc <path>".