Author Topic: Source Insight feature in slickedit?  (Read 20980 times)

_venturax_

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Source Insight feature in slickedit?
« on: July 11, 2006, 11:26:19 AM »
I have used source insight prior to slickedit. Today SE is my favorite, but a few features are missing (or perhaps they're already there, but somehow I missed it).

1. Line numbers (I can select them on/off for one file, but i'd like to do it globally for all files, so i dont have to turn them on always

2. Colored marking showing lines i have changed, since file was opened. Source Insight mark altered lines in yellow and when saved they will be marked green. The feature is very nice, when altering large files

I use slickedit version: 9.0.4

Thanks in advance

ChuckRice

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
Re: Source Insight feature in slickedit?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 11:47:58 AM »
1. Line numbers (I can select them on/off for one file, but i'd like to do it globally for all files, so i dont have to turn them on always

SE can do this, but it is VERY hard to find. Help is no help in locating it. Go to

Tools->Options->File Extension Setup...

select the General Tab and the file type you want to enable the line numbers for. Then check the Line Numbers checkbox. This took me several weeks to find. -Chuck-

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 44
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 01:13:55 PM »
You can find the "changed lines" option on that same Tools -> Options -> File Extension Setup dialog. Go to the Advanced Tab, and select the "Modified Lines" checkbox in the Color Coding section.
If you want to change the color that is used to denote a modified line, go to Tools -> Options -> Color and change the values for the Inserted Line and Modified Line. (These two options, along with No Save Line also affect the File Difference dialogs)

_venturax_

• Community Member
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 01:59:25 PM »
Thanks!!!!!

The line numbering is excellent :-) But why is such features not enabled by default, is beyond me  ;)

One final question:

Inserted Lind and Modified Line works, although a bit different than in S. Insight. But No Save Line seems to do nothing. Is this feature not fully working in 9.0.4 or am I missing the big idea behind this?

Thanks

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 44
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2006, 02:06:54 PM »
"No Save Line" could also be referred to as "Imaginary Line". This is for use by the File Difference (DiffZilla) display. When a side-by-side difference shows that a line exists in one file, but not in another, a placeholder line is inserted with the "No Save Line" color. This way the lines that do exist in both files can be lined up.

_venturax_

• Community Member
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 07:40:03 AM »
"No Save Line" could also be referred to as "Imaginary Line". This is for use by the File Difference (DiffZilla) display. When a side-by-side difference shows that a line exists in one file, but not in another, a placeholder line is inserted with the "No Save Line" color. This way the lines that do exist in both files can be lined up.

Ahhh.. of course. OK, now i get the point :D

What is was really looking for was the S. Insight feature, that when a unsaved change in a file it is marked with one color, it then changes color, when the file is saved. That way you will get an easy overview of lines altered and how many of these lines you have saved. This is not currently possible, unless I somehow get unlimited time to make a slickedit macro :-)

Thanks for all your help.. This forum has already shown its value to me.. I have looked for this feature for more than a year ::)