Author Topic: Can't Install SlickEdit Plug-In  (Read 17277 times)

ignisuti

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
Can't Install SlickEdit Plug-In
« on: April 16, 2012, 01:00:36 PM »
I believe I've followed the directions to a T, but I'm getting the following error when trying to install the SlickEdit plug-in.

FYI: I'm install this into CodeWarrior 10.2 which is to the best of my knowledge a wrapper around the Eclipse IDE. Is this possibly interfering with SlickEdit? Has anyone else done what I'm doing?

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 77
Re: Can't Install SlickEdit Plug-In
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 02:37:58 PM »
Unfortunately I am not familiar with installing our plugin into CodeWarrior...which you say is an Eclipse IDE.  There are a lot of Eclipse-based IDEs out there and we cannot test our compatibility with all of them.  It looks like you are installing on Windows...do you know what version/vendor of Java you are using?   It requires Java 5 or later.  Also, do you know if your OS and Eclipse is 32 or 64 bit?

Just as a sanity check, to make sure the update repository (where the plugin is downloaded from) is still up and running I loaded it up in a clean Eclipse and it looks like it found the appropriate plugin fine.  See attachment.  Do you see something like this?  Also, do you know what the base version of Eclipse that Codewarrior is running on.  All of these could be affecting the installation.

Any/all of this information will help, and I'll hopefully be able to get you up and running.

Thanks,

Ryan

ignisuti

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 03:08:23 PM »
Ryan,

I looked in my installed Programs and see that I have Java 6 Update 23 (64-bit) and Java 6 Update 31.

I'm using Windows 7 64-bit with 64-bit Eclipse.

Yes, I see the same thing before I get the error I included in my first post.

I found this information regarding the Eclipse base version. Is this what you're looking for?
Code: [Select]
Eclipse CDT P2 Customizations for SDK installation
Version: 1.0.0.FSL_b18_3082-A13
Build id: FSL_b18_3082-A13

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 04:42:26 PM »
Well everything there seems checks out...does that error occur during the install or after you've installed and then restarted Eclipse?

In your WORKSPACEDIR/.metata/ is there a .log file?  Could you send that in or post it here?  I'll have a look and see if I can deduce what is causing the problem.

- Ryan

ignisuti

• Community Member
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 06:05:06 PM »
Ryan,
Restarting (or even rebooting) does not help.

Here is a link to my .log file. It's pretty extensive. Good luck!
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/438946/.log

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 06:54:44 PM »
Ok, from glancing at the log file, it seems something is going awry during the actual install.  If you are trying to use the remote repository from inside the Eclipse mechanism, you just go to Help > Install New Software (assuming Eclipse 3.6 or 3.7) and type the URL into the field: https://customer.slickedit.com/update/secore/indigo.

From the log file it looks as though your company network could have a problem reaching this URL due to firewall restrictions so maybe trying downloading our offline installer, which is a zip file.  It's available at the "download" link at the bottom of this page.  Once downloaded, you install just like you normally would except instead of specifying a URL you click Add > Archive, browse to the downloaded .zip, and proceed with the installation prompts from there.

Let me know if you have any problems with this, or if this gets you up and running.

Thanks,

Ryan

ignisuti

• Community Member
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 02:36:35 PM »
Regarding the automatic install:
You were right, our proxy server was blocking the installation. I've gotten that issue fixed, but now I get an error from the IDE saying com.slickedit.core_3.7.1 does not exist. I've manually copied this file into the specified location from the manual download, but the error remains.

As for the manual install:
I couldn't figure out which file to point to. You said to point it to the ZIP file, but Eclipse is asking me for a JAR file. I tried the ZIP file without success. Which JAR file should I point it to?

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 02:55:09 PM »
You shouldn't be manually copying anything anywhere to use the zip file for installation...I think there was just some confusion in how to use this.

Go to http://www.slickedit.com/trial/slickedit-core and click the download link at the bottom of the page...this will download the zip file.  Then, from Eclipse, go to Help > Install New Software, click Add, click Archive, and browse to where you downloaded the zip file.  Then you will be able to click through the installation process.

Let me know if this works for you.

- Ryan

ignisuti

• Community Member
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 04:59:06 PM »
Ryan,

I did what you said. For some reason my IDE will attempt to run with the freshly downloaded zip, but not the one I re-packaged. So, that gets me past that one issue.

However, we're back to the same error again. Here's a snapshot to see if it provides you any information.

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 07:24:52 PM »
That is bizarre...I haven't seen this reported to us by a user in any Eclipse-based IDE that was trying to install our plugin.  The only thing I can recommend off the top of my head is that sometimes with all these failed installations, the Eclipse installation mechanism won't clean up everything properly and there will be lingering effects.  Can you try with a 'clean' installation of your IDE?  Or is that not an option?  Even if it's just as a test...

Is 'Freescale' free, or do they have a trial I can run?  Do you happen to have a link to the download for the version you are using?  I would like to see if I can reproduce this...

- Ryan

ignisuti

• Community Member
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 09:17:42 PM »
Ryan, we're there finally!   :D

You gave me an idea when you mentioned a clean installation. I downloaded the latest update to CW10.2. Either the initial release had update issues, or doing so cleaned-up something I had bugger'd up in this process. I was finally able to do the auto-install. My IDE rebooted and it's all working now.

THANK YOU!

Now, I'm trying to get it licensed.

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 09:45:22 PM »
Ah, great news!  Glad I could help.  Let me know if you have any other problems, licensing or otherwise.

- Ryan

ignisuti

• Community Member
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 01:48:46 PM »
Well... I'm very sad to say since installing, I've had a lot of trouble with my IDE.
Biggest issue is that my IDE randomly crashes and closes itself. Also, I find the SlickEdit tool too intrusive. Every new file I open, is opened using the SlickEdit tool. I only want this tool to be visible when I explicitly tell it be.

I can't completely blame everything on the SlickEdit tool just yet as I also co-currently installed and update that could also be causing issues.

But, unless you know some quick fixes for these issues, I need to change the title of this post to "Can't UN-Install SlickEdit Plug-In" as I don't see how to uninstall it.

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 02:07:10 PM »
Also, I find the SlickEdit tool too intrusive. Every new file I open, is opened using the SlickEdit tool. I only want this tool to be visible when I explicitly tell it be.

By default SlickEdit takes over a set of file associations so that it will be the default editor for all supported file types.  We've found this to be the default behavior that most users want.  You can change this of course, at Window > Preferences > General > Editors > File Associations.  For any of the file types listed there you can set which editor is the default editor.

Well... I'm very sad to say since installing, I've had a lot of trouble with my IDE.
Biggest issue is that my IDE randomly crashes and closes itself.

Do you have any JVM crash logs under WORKSPACEDIR/ ?  They would be named something like hs_err_pid1234.log.  I could take a look at those, and also the .log file kept at WORKSPACEDIR/.metadata, and tell you if I can see what might be causing the issues.  Or maybe at least if it looks like SlickEdit is the culprit.  We never know exactly how our plugin is going to "play" in every Eclipse-based IDE...there are a lot of them out there, and sometimes not everyone plays nice together.  There could be issues with the particular IDE you are using which we have not seen before.  I can look into getting a demo version if there is one available and seeing for myself.

I don't see how to uninstall it.

Help > About Eclipse SDK, click Installation Details.  On that dialog select SlickEdit Core for Eclipse and click Uninstall at the bottom.  When Eclipse restarts, the plugin should be uninstalled.

Sorry for the trouble,

Ryan

ignisuti

• Community Member
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 02:30:14 PM »