Author Topic: Spill File I/O error  (Read 9087 times)

Mike H

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 3
Spill File I/O error
« on: June 15, 2012, 04:25:35 PM »
I get this problem repeatedly.  I love Slick Edit Core, but will have to remove this plug-in if I can't fix this problem.  Today it happened while I was typing mid-codeline.  Whenever it happens, I have to open task manager to kill the process and then restart eclipse.  Note this also happens when I run Slick Edit stand alone application as well.  It occurs about once a day.  See attachment.

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 77
Re: Spill File I/O error
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 01:49:04 PM »
Hi Mike,

Sorry you are having so much trouble with this...you can try the same fix for both products and see if you have better results running our editors afterwards.  In Eclipse, go to Window > SlickEdit Preferences > Application Options > Virtual Memory > Spill file path and enter a path.  Something like C:\temp\ so that this local path gets used instead of the default value which is probably something under USER_HOME.  Sometimes the user home path can have file restrictions, or be on a network drive, etc.

In standalone SlickEdit the option is at Tools > Options > Application Options > Virtual Memory.  Let me know if you have better results or if this changes nothing.

Thanks,

Ryan

Mike H

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 3
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 07:49:51 PM »
Ryan,
I had tried this before in the stand-alone version.  It didn't solve the problem.  It may have made the problem happen less often, but didn't solve the problem.  I tried your suggest for Core, but today I experienced the same problem.  Other devs in my group don't seem to have this problem, so maybe it is just something with my PC.  Anything else you can suggest?

thanks,
Mike

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 77
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 08:12:22 PM »
We found an old support case of yours, and it looks like your USER_HOME is indeed on a network drive.  This could very well be what is causing the problem...it could be a connection issue or any number of things.

From talking with tech support here, it seems like the best thing to do is to start Eclipse with the -vsconfig option to specify a local path for your SlickEdit Core configuration.  The least obtrusive way to do this is to put the arguments in the eclipse.ini file which is in the same directory as eclipse.exe.  Open up eclipse.ini, and just above the -vmargs line, put something like this:

Code: [Select]
-vsconfig=C:\temp\MY_LOCAL_CONFIG_DIR

Again, make sure the path you specify is local.  Save eclipse.ini and then launch Eclipse.  Let me know if you still see the problem or if this appears to have solved your issue with SlickEdit Core.

- Ryan