Author Topic: Find Symbol not finding a symbol  (Read 3815 times)

pmwhite

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 7
Find Symbol not finding a symbol
« on: April 16, 2012, 07:39:18 PM »
Screenshots demonstrate the problem. When I search for "NetImpl", I see a result, "Dlc::NetImpl". However, when I search for "Dlc::NetImpl", there are no matches.

The problem doesn't seem to be related to the namespace separator, since other queries that include "::" work.

I am running version 17.0.0.1 on Win32, but I don't know if this behavior exists in stable version 16.

Dennis

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 517
Re: Find Symbol not finding a symbol
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 08:00:14 PM »
Try ctw::Dlc::NetImpl, and make sure the combo box is set to "Use Context Tagging".  The search engine or Find Symbol isn't smart enough to pick Dlc out of thin air.

pmwhite

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 10:17:26 PM »
Searching for "ctw::Dlc::NetImpl" also does not find it. The combo box is set as you said. Last tested on v17 beta3.

Dennis

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 517
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 01:05:27 PM »
The "Use Context Tagging(R)" setting depends on the language mode of the current file open in the editor.   "ctw::Dlc::NetImpl" should work if the current file is C++, otherwise, it won't really know how to decompose the qualified type name expression.

You might also want to verify that you don't have any symbol type filters set.  Does it find "ctw" when you type just that?

pmwhite

• Community Member
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 01:55:37 PM »
Dennis, oddly now everything works fine. I didn't change anything between yesterday and today, but today I am able to find "Dlc::NetImpl", as well as "ctw::Dlc::NetImpl", and even "ctw/Dlc/NetImpl". Maybe my tag file was messed up.

Thanks for the suggestions.