Author Topic: Slickedit 16.0.3 32-bit Linux hangs chewing 100% CPU and eats all the RAM  (Read 3232 times)

jimbo333

  • Community Member
  • Posts: 58
  • Hero Points: 3
I have an install of Slickedit 16.0.3 on a 32-bit Linux which hangs when starting, no windows are displayed. It was working one day and just stopped working for an unknown reason.  I have deleted the .slickedit directory with the configs and (deleted and) re-installed the entire slickedit which does not fix the problem.  If I run slickedit on a remote machine via ssh with X forward, it starts and runs just fine.  But when trying to run it on the local machine, it just hangs forever.  When it hangs forever, it does not re-create the .slickedit config directory or appear to do anything.  Is there some kind of a command-line switch of debug log file I can look at to help diagnose the problem?

Marcel

  • Senior Community Member
  • Posts: 218
  • Hero Points: 26
Try to start it with -suxft.

Phil Barila

  • Senior Community Member
  • Posts: 742
  • Hero Points: 61
Do you have the latest hotfix installed?

jimbo333

  • Community Member
  • Posts: 58
  • Hero Points: 3
I can't install the hotfix if I can't get Slickedit to start in the first place can I?  I could use my remote X session trick to install the hotfixes I suppose, I was just wondering how one would install hot-fixes if slickedit won't start at all.

I tried the hot-fixes, no difference.

Phil Barila

  • Senior Community Member
  • Posts: 742
  • Hero Points: 61
I'd open a support case with SE.

jimbo333

  • Community Member
  • Posts: 58
  • Hero Points: 3
Already did, thanks :)  I will post here once I have a solution in-case anyone else has the problem.

Dennis

  • SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • *
  • Posts: 2743
  • Hero Points: 419
Simplest solution is to remove "vrestore.slk" from your configuration directory and then try starting SlickEdit.  Then you should be able to install the hot fix.  I would also recommend deleting your .vtg files, since the hung SlickEdit probably left them in a corrupted state.

jimbo333

  • Community Member
  • Posts: 58
  • Hero Points: 3
I tried deleting the entire configuration directory and reinstall slickedit, no difference (I don't have any workspaces defined, so no files to delete there).  I have also tried running the v17 beta which also did similar things, expect it printed an error on the console:

QFont::setPointSize: Point size <= 0 (0), must be greater than 0
QFont::setPointSize: Point size <= 0 (-1), must be greater than 0
... (keeps going, getting more and more negitive).